SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steven_teague

Woodland Garden advice required - what to plant to keep the weeds out?

Steven Teague
8 years ago

Hiya

Bit of a newbie here when it comes to horticulture so please be kind. I have around 3-4 acres of what could be described as a rough "woodland garden" (And a smaller formal garden which is not a problem)

I say this because I just seem to be fighting a war with various types of unwanted plants...as soon as I get rid of the bracken (nearly done), nettles (nearly done), brambles (ongoing) another plant takes hold - the latest being small beech trees (hundreds of them!). It is hard to get tractors/rotovators etc in as the ground was a pine woodland and there are scores of stumps everywhere.

I think (with chemical assistance!) I can hold the unwanted plants at bay but I suspect I should be playing a lot smarter and planting plants that will dominate the ground and at least make it difficult for the nasties. At present I just seem to be constantly battling weeds. i.e. I get rid of one and another immediately takes over next year.

Overall, I just want to area to look nice such that I can cut a path through it and look at something other than weeds when we walk through. NB We already have an acre of more formal garden by the house which my partner looks after very nicely.

I work full time and can afford only limited assistance so need something that can be achieved at weekends.

All ideas from the knowledgeable very welcome! Especially pointers to plants that are prolific ground covererers (Nice to look at would be a bonus)

Cheers

Steve

Comments (30)

Sponsored