SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_n_ga_mts

cold weather killer.

ken-n.ga.mts
12 years ago

This is my 4th winter up in this area and I found something (that I should have known) that will hurt ANY rose when it gets cold (teens or colder). Metal tie rods used for bush stability. I used them all the time in Fl and never had a problem. Hardly ever had any cold issues. But up here in N.GA., it gets cold. When metal gets cold, it REALLY holds the cold. This past winter has been mild with just a few hard freezes that lasted less then a week or so. My problem is that last summer several roses grew quite large and I used 1/2 inch tie rods to hold them up correctly. Tying them off about 2/3 of the way up the bush. I allowed two roses to have a large cane come in contact with the metal. Louise Estes and Septer'd Isle. Checked all my bush's real good today and found dead canes where they came in steady contact with the metal rods. Something so basic but overlooked. I'll bet it doesn't happen again. Every fall all my bushs will get a winter LOOKING at. I'll bet I don't make this simple to overlook mistake again. Plus I'm going to start using wood staking instead of metal. Learning to grow roses in the cold is a LOT different then growing 12 months out of the year.

Comments (6)