SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
river_crossroads

Fragrant climber to grow in pot?

Hi all,

I am looking for a very fragrant antique rose that I could grow in a 3 to 5 gal pot. I need a climber but not a big climber. Climbing to about 8-12 ft but not very wide across, or one that I could prune and keep in check but would still be a repeat bloomer with lots of pretty flowers.

Thornless or small thorns. Disease resistant, black spot resistant, PM resistant. Perform well in my hot, wet, humid climate where the winters might be cold and wet and the summers might be hot and dry. Lots to want, I know!

Pink, purple, light yellow, or light apricot would be good. Bright red or warm colors will not go with my color scheme.

People around here grow climbing Cecile Brunner but say that she gets huge. Can she be grown in a 5 gal pot? Can she be pruned, kept in check and still bloom? Love the smell of bush type Clotilde Soupert, but climbing one sounds bushy & too wide for spot.

Have a big trellis but sunny side faces on concrete and only space in ground looks too small. Clematis in ground on shady side. Faces west, morning shade, afternoon sun but shadows from trees and bldgs so not full sun.

Looking for shade tolerant that can also take a few hours of hot, blazing sun. Search engines return nothing, of course Any ideas? Thanks so much for your time! River

See pics of trellis. Best sun is near entry way - entry way in middle, yellow edge. Can wrap wire around post then train over to trellis.
Click "Slideshow" or "Roll" above pics & use scrollbars to move through quickly.

Summer 2009
Combos 2011
Spring/Summer 2012

Comments (8)