SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengimp

When you name your .27c mosquito fish ...

gardengimp
12 years ago

... you know you might be in trouble.

My little pond is 300 gallons or so. A couple of small growing tropical lilies, a water poppy, hornwort and cabomba. After the pond settled in, I went off to Petsmart for mosquito fish and came home with 6 feeder comets. 4 lived. They are now about 4" long. Quite fun to watch. And play with when I do my weekly clean, or sprinkle the pond with the hose. Low and behold I named them; have become quite attached to the finny foursome.

Cleaning today, only 3 of the fish were in the middle of my activity. The fourth (my favorite of course) just hung out by herself. Didn't swim around much, wasn't much into eating the stirred up algae. She did perk up when a little fry swam by, but she didn't catch it. Scrutinizing as close as I can see, I see one white spot on a tail fin, and her gills seem redder than normal (but I couldn't say for sure). She is a white goldfish, and has always been slimmer than the other 3, now compared to them she looks emancipated. Actually, I have no idea what sex, I call her Missy because of the long white flowing tail fins.

I read up on Ich. I brought home several bunches of cabomba a few weeks ago. It never crossed my mind that I should isolate plants before putting them in the pond. Can frogs bring in Ich?

OK, so I can't just let a .27c fish waste away. So I'm trying the treatment route. I changed 10% of my water today, and added 1 cup kosher salt. While I was out to get pond salt, it rained for the first time in a few weeks. It has been extremely hot and dry here the past few weeks. So we got 2 weeks of rain in 2 hours. The pond is now at over-full capacity. It typically slowly seeps down after a few hours.

The fish eat primarily algae, larvae and frog eggs, I supplement once a week or less with a pinch of pond pellet food. There might have been a spawning last week; I don't really know what it would look like but there was a great deal of chasing around a lily pot. Are they even old enough to spawn?

I'm reading about salt treatment and to take your plants out, but if I brought Ich home on the cabomba, don't the plants need to be de-Ich'd? And how?

I don't have a test kit, looked at them at Petsmart today and decided to ask advice here first. Which one is good? Is there a test for just salinity level without getting the whole salt water aquarium test kit?

I really don't know how many gallons I have, it is very irregular winding around oak roots and obstacles. My best guess using the pond calculator is about 300 gallons.

Thoughts, advice and recommendations?

Thanks all,

~dianne

Comments (10)