SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mgeca

Water Quality

mgeca
13 years ago

I have two water quality issues. I tested my pond water with a test-tube type kit and have two readings that I never had in the past. My phospate reading is 0.5 and my pH is 9. The phosphate worries me, the pH less so. I admit that I never gave the pond, home to two fish year-round, the most vigorous cleaning in the spring. The pond is 14x10 with a 12" shelf, 24" deep spot, and mostly 20". I guess maybe 1400 gallons. There are two streams with pretty steady flow and aeration seems good.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the phosphate level. I know it can come from tap water, is more common in older ponds. I haven't been diligent about water changes but am doing so now. Also, any comments of the pH would be helpful.

The other problem is a strong but temporary smell of hydrogen sulfide. I have two pumps with three uphill delivery lines to two streams. This year I have mostly rotated using two pipes with one sometimes dormant for a while. It is when I turn on the dormant line that I get the bad odor for a while. I can't tell if it is coming from the pipe or the pond when a new flow disturbs the surface.

I have some ideas of what to do but am uncertain as to the best course of action.

Thanks - Mike

Comments (5)