SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erasmus_gw

Freisinger Morgenrote or Sunrise, Royal Dane

erasmus_gw
16 years ago

I've ordered these two and Honeysweet as they have the most amazing blend of strong colors. How do they grow and are they bs resistant?

Linda

Comments (7)

• kayli-gardener
    16 years ago

I love, love, love 'Freisinger Morgenrote' aka 'Sunrise'. It is a beauty in our climate and I'm on a mission to have as many people as possible grow it. Even if they are not rose people, once they have FM in their garden, they are hooked. As far as I'm concerned it has it all. The blooms are nicely shaped, the scent is wonderful, and the plant can be grown as a free standing shrub or it will climb, but not too much. I have heard however that it does not do as well in warmer climates, so that may be a downside to the rose. As far as disease resistance, I really can't say because we do spray our roses from time to time.

{{gwi:230141}}

{{gwi:230143}}

This is a scanned photo from a friend who's arm was twisted.

{{gwi:230145}}

Hope this helps.

• erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kayli, those are such gorgeous pictures! Did you post any of these on helpmefind? Some similar ones tempted me into this rose. I'm glad to hear ( and see) it does so well for you. I am a little confused about your climate though as it says you're in zone 7b but on your page it says you're in Canada. I'm in zone 7 too, so am hoping that my climate is not too hot for this rose.
    Thanks,
    Linda

• kayli-gardener
    16 years ago

I live in British Columbia, Canada where most zones are probably more towards 8. Because I live a little north from the coast on the side of a mountain, our winter weather is a bit more severe, and our bloom later than other places in coastal B.C. A cool climate, with moderately warm summers, which I like. If I had to work on the roses for many more months of the year, I'd think twice about how many I grow. The climate here is nothing like eastern Canada where winters can be very cold. If you know what the Seattle area climate is like, we are very similar.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    16 years ago

I was about to order Sunrise, have admired it for some time. But I live in east Texas, 2 hours from Houston. We do get cold weather, but I am in Zone 8. Am wondering if this is too hot for this rose? Does anyone grow it successfully in this zone?
    Judith

• erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kayli, I forgot all about it being much milder in the west up there. We went to the Olympic peninsula a long time ago and I loved the weather.

Judith, I guess it's worth trying. Some roses that don't don't bloom well in heat will be good anyway in spring and fall.
    The color looks like it might be a bit hard to place, but I have an area of bright colors I think it'll be at home in.
    Linda

• sue9norcal
    16 years ago

I have a friend in No. Calif., just north of San Francisco that grows it. It was such a gorgeous bllom, I bought it too so it's very small and new for me still. Even buds are entertaining.

{{gwi:230146}}
    {{gwi:230147}}
    {{gwi:230149}}

• erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! More great pics! I love the third one especially, Sue.

Now, if anyone has some comments and pictures of Royal Dane or Honeysweet, that would be great too. Someone told me Honeysweet is puny.
    Linda