SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Seeds in Turface fines - fertilizing schedule?

Laura was nice enough to confirm that seeds planted in Turface fines (leftovers from screening for gritty mix) is doable.

As you can see, I had already trialed with some shiso seeds (as shiso is just one of those things I can't have too much of and can easily give away -- not to mention having a million seeds) -- and they have germinated. In fact, they look pretty good.
{{gwi:236072}}

I attempted this because I had a recent failed attempt with something bizarre happening to the shiso cotyledons (shown below in red circles) and eventually, they all died. The only thing I used in these that I don't normally use was vermiculite, but plenty of folks use vermiculite that it's hard to correlate this flop with that particular ingredient. I never did find out what happened -- does anyone recognize what this cotyledon browning syndrome is?

{{gwi:227294}}

Anyway - that provoked me to try seeds in a completely "pure" medium - and now, I have these seedlings in pure Turface, excepting the 1mm of screened potting soil I put on top to keep moist. That means....it has virtually no nutrients at this time, correct?

So, in contrast to my other seedlings in potting soil blends I made -- these require a bit more attention and fertilization, I would guess. Or am I wrong? Ordinarily, I would not give them anything other than water and sunlight until they're transplanted.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

-Grace

Comments (5)