SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesuko

seed starting soil, T5 lights Q and when to seperate seedlings?

Lesuko
12 years ago

I have a few Qs for a first attempt at starting seeds:

1. I seem to have a black-ish stickiness on the top layer of my seed starting mix. It's either something bad or just the peat moss or something in the mix drying out or too wet? I used sterile mix and new containers. Some seeds have sprouted but I fear others may not be able to push through the stickiness. The sprouted ones came up before the sticky stuff formed. And, I saw no signs of the green mildew that's supposed to cause dampening off and I look at my seeds many times a day.

2. We bought T5 HO light- 4 bulbs. I've searched online how far to put them above seedlings but am finding conflicting info. The Sun Systems info says 6-8" above plants. The medicinal folks say 1" above clones. Is there a different height used for seedlings, clones, and plants (I'm assuming once they are 3-4" with a few leaves)? It seems like my seedlings are stretching, but they just came up the last 3 days and I don't really know if they aren't just skinny in the beginning.- tomatoes and peppers.

3. When would you try to separate seedlings if you put 2-3 in a 1" cell? Should I not try and just choose one and cut the other? I don't need all of them but I have friends who would love some.

4. I've read here (FAQs) and other places to fertilize seedlings soon after they sprout. I wasn't expecting this. Is it necessary or recommended? If so, what would you use? I do want to be organic. I don't like the idea of fertilizers. My tomatoes and eggplants are heirloom. Peppers are new mexico varieties. I don't know if this makes a difference.

Thanks!

Leslie

Comments (2)