SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baxb

too late to grow seeds?

baxb
12 years ago

I bought several diff seed packets end of last summer at bargain prices. I am a beginner gardner and have planters and pots in my back yard facing NE. My plan was to wintersow most seeds but i had been so busy i never did.

Now its first week of april and i have not even planted one seed! My container garden has perenials that have started new growth-

Eunomys, strawberrys, primroses, roses, lavender, astilbe, rodgersia, hydrangea, creeping charlie and jenny.

My bienials that started last year, i cant wait for the flowers this year. Forget me knots are blooming now. Also looking well are the columbines, lynchis pink and foxgloves.

I Dont want to spend wasted money on bedding plants etc too expensive. Last year i had average success with my annual seeds last year, some started last jan/feb and some didnt bloom well were started too late like last may and june.

Can anyone advise me which of these seeds are worth starting now (2nd week of april).

My seed collection>

Cosmos, black

Beauty pansies, mix sunflowers, salmon pink sweet pea, johnny jump up, geraniums, cherry toms, lobelia, dwarf snapdragon, swan daisy, gem tagete and anagalis gentian blue.

I have not tried most of these before. Last year i grew loads lobelia but very few flowers. Can anyone help me, which can i grow now and which should i not bother with?

I live NW UK and my yard faces NE so is quite shady in summer. I have a nice indoor window i can use which faces SW. Thanks for reading!

Comments (4)