SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaimeg_gw

What to expect after hard pruning a viburnum?

jaimeg
18 years ago

I know that most people are not big fans of pruning a viburnum for size. Neither am I... usually.

But we have just moved into a new house and I have three HUGE viburnum growing in a foundation bed in front of a side entry garage. They are so tall that the garage is totally blocked, including the windows they were planted in front of. So I think I have two options, try to move them or prune them waaaaaay back so I can at least see the windows. I would love to move them, but they are so big that I doubt I could actually do it. One has multiple trunks with a couple about 3-4" in diameter - and I just have a shovel! Also, we can't afford to buy a bunch of new appropriately-sized shrubs this year to take their spot. So now I am left with leaving them and maybe trying to prune them back.

My main question is what to expect afterwards? I will wait until after they bloom, but how will taking 2-3 feet off the top affect the shrub overall? Is there any chance that they will live to try to transplant them once we can afford to get replacements? I've left out the option of leaving them large, because if I do, I'm pretty sure my husband will take a chainsaw to them when I'm not home! :)I've never cut a large shrub way back...I am a fan of leaving them in their natural size and shape, but I need to do something.

Thanks for any input. BTW, I'm not even sure what type of viburnum it is. They are currently about 7' tall and look to be widely used in our neighborhood. That's all I know.

Thanks!

Comments (4)