SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

This is what happens...

seil zone 6b MI
11 years ago

Every year, right about this time, it happens. It's been weeks of cold, dark, gray, snowy days by this time. I'm bored and feeling house bound and I miss my roses dreadfully. I do have a handful of seedlings started in the basement but it's not enough. I want roses!

I end up going someplace and succumbing to the temptation. This year it was English Gardens and the clearance rack. There was this poor neglected potted gift mini at half price. I, of course, had to save it. I now am the proud owner of another mystery mini.

{{gwi:229230}}

Then I am out innocently shopping and somebody has body bags! This year it was Big Lots. I know!!! They're really crappy roses and it's way too early but what are you going to do? We went to get a blind to replace a broken one (which of course they didn't have) and ended up finding this neat little walk in greenhouse marked down. I'm thinking it will help me be able to get my garden plants started earlier. I've tried this inside before but they get leggy and spindly and never do very well. But I'm hoping outside in the greenhouse they'll do better for me.

{{gwi:229231}}

And right next to it were the baggie roses. I had to at least look at them didn't I? Sure enough there was Camelot. Yes, I know this is like #7 I've bought like this and none of them turned out to be Camelot. I guess hope really does spring eternal. His Nibbs spotted Blue Girl. He likes that rose for some reason and previous attempts to get it have also failed. And they were cut to $3 and still looking relatively fresh so we did the deed and they came home with us.

{{gwi:229232}}

They're potted up and under the lights and will hopefully not die before I can get the little greenhouse set up outside and get them in there.

{{gwi:229233}}

I know I'm hopelessly bad but sometimes a girl's just gotta have some roses!

Comments (54)

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

LOL! I've been eyeballing that little greenhouse, too ($50 @ BL).

Annnnd, I rescued a pathetic Paul Neyron, there. And a New Dawn, Pink Peace & First Prize from HEB. The grocery store roses are pretty dang good if you get them fast & baby the plants some. They have Mutabilis, Caldwell Pink, Belinda's Dream, Duchesse de Brabrant, Cl. Pinkie, Blue Girl, Dbl Delight, cl. Peace, Joseph's Coat, JFK, several others in peat pots. More in body bags, including Heirloom. I've been trying the soak 24 hrs in fish emulsion or alfalfa tea someone suggested here. They sure seem to like it--it really swells the buds & they break quickly.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

This post is wonderful!!! I feel so much better, having company is my spring-fever related breakdown! Seil, I did about the same thing today! and Susan, you've got quite a mess going on! I really do wonder where all of your roses will fit!!! Bluegirl, I jealous that your grocery stores carry OGRs. I've never seen ours cary anything other than mystery minis.

I might as well also share what I've been up to today....please don't judge, I think I may have a problem :)

Tammy

Here is the 6x8' greenhouse that I bought about a month ago...still in its box. Mainly because my husband isn't happy that I bought it, and has explained to me that roses are my hobby, not his, and he didn't tell me to go out and buy a 150 lb greenhouse that cost over $800....so here it sits until either I get it put together myself, he gets sick of looking at it and helps me, or I recruit some friends....there's also a second box, yes its that flipping big.......ugh!!!!
    {{gwi:229234}}

Yesterday, my order arrived from S&W Greenhouse (actually shipped Friday....love having a nursery this close by!). So early this morning, I took my bareroots out of the box to soak them for a few hours. Went by Lowes to get some potting and garden soil, only to find out that they have their bareroot bodybag roses in. I swear every year that I won't buy any, but I always get weak and buy one or two anyway...this year it was Meilland's "Ambassador" which I don't think I've seen them sell before...but I may be wrong. So it came home with me along with ANOTHER zipper greenhouse (because apparently 2 zipper greenhouses and 1 big one (in a box indefnitely) are not enough, and a soil pH tester (actually needed that...found out my soil's pH around 4...not bad, actually expected it to be more acidic that that).
    {{gwi:229235}}

As of tonight, I got 3 of my 6 S&W bareroots situated: ownroot Smoke Rings has found its home in a container, Candy Land has been planted in front of a small magnolia tree (don’t know what I was thinking, but it was getting dark and I panicked), and Green Romantica received a nice big container that it will hopefully be happy in for at least a couple of years (I know it’s supposed to be a bad rose, but I’ve been looking at it since it was released and S&W had it on sale, so I figured “why not”). I also moved Westside Road Cream Tea out of a pot and into the ground, so Smoke Rings would have a pot.

Here is Green Romantica
    {{gwi:229236}}
    Here is Candy Land settled in with the magnolia. You can barely see the canes through the mulch!
    {{gwi:229237}}
    And lastly, this is what I have left as of about an hour ago: 3 bareroots and 1 bodybag pot.
    Soaking are, Wild Blue Yonder, Classic Woman and ownroot Blaze Improved…and of course my bodybag weakness (it made me laugh becaue there was a "scratch and sniff" sticker on the bodybag so you could test the roses fragrance....too funny!!!) 
    {{gwi:229238}}

This post was edited by TNY78 on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 10:22

• Related Discussions

What kind of tree is this and what happened to it

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks. I'll cut open the 'berry' tonight and get back to you. Actually, I don't think it's the weather because we've gotten a lot of rain this summer...much more than last summer and the tree didn't look bad last summer? Does anyone know if stinkbugs can do this to a tree?
    ...See More

what is this on my orchin (or what happened)

Q

Comments (6)
    There is no way that antifreeze got on this orchid, but yes, green, like anti freeze.... It has been in that pot for months and in the exact same pleace without any issues, then overnight - I get this... It's the only one with this issue and I have 4 plants right next to it with no issues... Regarding the frost... it's been in the 80's down here in south florida, so I don't think that's what happened... I am totally stumped... I also didn't realize that I posted this on the gallery forum...Should I try over in the regular form to see if anyone else has seen this? Thanks! K
    ...See More

What's happening here? Garden/yard showing signs of what?

Q

Comments (2)
    I cant see the tomato plant very well but tomatoes, especially young ones are WAY sensitive to chemical anything. Just the drift of herbicide or in your case, perhaps pesticide can damage them. I have had my seedlings damaged when someone, some neighbor sprayed. If its a light dose, they will usually outgrow it. If heavy they will put out gnarly and/or spindly growth for a long time.
    ...See More

Motorized window shades -- what happens when they break?

Q

Comments (12)
    I'm late to this party... found this thread in a search for Bali motorized cellular shade parts. Here's my $0.02. I've had Bali motorized shades for 6 1/2 years now. I have three separate shades on single headrail. They've mostly worked flawlessly during that time. But, about a year ago, two of them started squeaking, and as of this writing, one quit working altogether. The issue is not the Somfy motors that power them (Somfy is used in many blind brands) but rather the raising and lowering mechanism itself... a small threaded piece, critical to operation has broken (see the photos). Bali customer support has not been very useful. They are very slow to respond and misunderstood my requests in two emails. I am hoping that the third time is a charm and that they can help me source the parts; I've had no luck so far. To answer your specific question: No, you cannot operate the blinds manually in case of failure; the motor is geared to the raise/lower rollers and they cannot be moved without removing or operating the motor.
    ...See More
  • harmonyp
    11 years ago

I'm going to have to enjoy any further additions vicariously through these posts, as I have to put a stop to my continual garden buying spree. I went from about 90 to 130 roses since fall, and I'm trying very hard to exercise retraint by not going anywhere with flowering plants! Over the past few weeks I've added about 10 different annual and perennial varieties for companions, and I have to get to the point where I'm not spending every weekend planting. I did decide I must have gladiolus this year, so I've been planting the two packages of 55 bulbs each, like a crazy woman. They may only bloom for a short period, but they are so beautiful and I love them in vases.

The anticipation of the upcoming spring flush is electric.

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

Oooo, like Harmonyp I enjoy rose shopping vicariously thru GardenWeb posts.

Tammy, Lowes has the nicest 12v Hitachi drill & driver set. It even comes with 2 Li batteries AND a flashlight, all in a little green bag. I don't recall the price but it was very reasonable. The driver/drill/flashlight are nice "ladies hand-sized" tools with lots of power. You do need to pick up bits & drivers sets if you don't already have them. That thing will bolt that neat greenhouse together quick.

I also like Lowes HappiGro mix--$2.49 per sack. It 's a nice loose mix with bark shreds & a bit of sand (don't think it has any fertilizer).

Oh, and you also need A TEAM OF GORILLAS, too, LOL :-D

I'm amazed at the HEB stores carrying OGRs, too. They also have Souvenir del la Malmaison, Mrs. Dudley Cross, Sombreuil--they only put a few out each week so you have to keep checking. Last year I got Spice & Duchesse there. The roots are really chopped (short enough to stuff into a little peat pot). I didn't take good care of last year's plants & they didn't bloom but slowly built up good foliage. This year I'm doing the soak, planting in a huge hole & heavily watering & mulching. Maybe since so many commercial growers e.g. Chamblees, are in-state they find them readily available at good prices--I dunno. The OGRs have a Mea Nursery lable, the old HTs a Lone Star label.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Bluegirl....I do have a cute little Royoki (???) drill/driver set...much easier to handle than the husbands powertools :) I know the first warm/dry weekend I'm going to just get out there and spend the entire weekend putting the darn thing together myself (although, fake tears of exhaustion work fairly well too hehe).

Mea Nursery is where the Home Depot ogrs usually come from around here. I still have a Rose de Rescht and Compte de Chambord from them that have done well. I'll have to check there in a couple weeks and see what they have in this year...last year was blah!

Tammy

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

Ooops, so sorry, checking my notes, the Sombreuil & Souvenir came from HD, Mea Nursery.

Hmm, how 'bout throwing a greenhouse-raising bbq w/beer for a few close friends. BYO drill, of course.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Luckily we don't have any grocery stores that sell body bags or I'd be sunk for sure! No HEB's around here either and our Lowes/HD/Wally Worlds won't get baggie roses for at least another month. When they do they're usually pretty much the same old, same old boring stuff. I envy you guys who get some decent roses to pick from. Big Lots is really pushing it by getting them so early here. But I'm glad they put them out instead of leaving them in the warehouse (they did that one year and they were all black when they put them out for sale) for another month to die. They don't give them any care what so ever so you have to buy them quick and get them home to care for or they're goners. So hopefully I'm safe...yeah, right! You know I'll find something I just gotta have! Hmmm...they just opened a Manards here...I wonder if they have roses...

Bluegirl, go get that greenhouse! It's a good deal and they're going fast. We had to go to two Big Lots to find one in stock.

Lol, Campanula, I adore your sassy wit!

Tammy, I have two of the smaller zippered greenhouse already and they're both stuffed full with my seedlings every winter. I'd like to keep this one for growing seeds and such in the spring. I really like being able to get a head start and extending the season some. And I'm a zone pusher for sure! I'd love to have your big one but don't have the space or the money for it. I think you should have a nice "garden" party and invite your friends to come help you put that puppy up!

Harmony, I've been telling myself for years I have no more room but it never stops me from buying more and I always find some place to put them.

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

And keep the beer watered down until that greenhouse is bolted together & up.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

LOL....love the idea of throwing the "greenhouse garden party" ...I guess I couple pay people by giving them cuttings that I root in it a few months down the line..hmm.....

Seil, my two existing zipper greenhouses have cuttings in them that I rooted last summer, but I've noticed that I've lost a few already (they're on the shaded side of my house, but also the only place the wind won't knock them over), so hopefully putting the new greenhouse in a better location will help them survive the winters (trust me, I couldn't afford it either...I'll be working on that creditcard bill for quite awhile).

Good idea with watering down the beer, Bluegirl....I don't want the dang thing colapsing on me, or worse yet my cuttings!!!! ;)

Tammy

• jlee160
    11 years ago

seil, usually menards has a deal when they get their BB roses- they offer a rebate making them something like $1-$2. Last year they offered several earthkind roses. I am thinking I may need to check out big lots....

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    11 years ago

I am SO DANG JEALOUS of the selections at some of you all's big box and grocery stores. Here in Nashville we are primarily a "hybrid tea, fungicide town". So, I continue to order online.
    Tammy, my S&W came too! I've got two Wild Blue Yonder and a Distant Drums ready for holes. The others will have to soak a bit longer as there is just no room in the yard until these trenches are closed.
    I am going to make some calls to Big Lots! LOL. Do you think the neighbors would mind if I put it in the front yard?
    BWAAAAAA hah ha ha ha
    I think we all need a 12 step program.
    Susan

• User
    11 years ago

It has been fifteen years since I have felt the urge to support "discount" growers by buying their product, when the fact is the odds of receiving a correctly labeled plant is too low (for my liking), and the odds of acquiring a virused plant is very high. I don't care to to support such a poor business model just so I can get my "spring fix".

• TNY78
    11 years ago

But Paul, it's only one! Just kidding :) I can honestly say that out of over 500 roses that I grow, only 5 remain from bodybag roses (Rose de Rescht, Comptes de chambord, Blue Girl, JFK and Queen E. the remaining 99% are all from privately run nuseries. The quality is just much much better.

I guess its kind of like a squirrel finding a nut in the middle of winter...you just get a little more excited than you really should :)

Tammy

This post was edited by TNY78 on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 12:21

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I understand your feelings on the subject, Paul, but I'm stuck here in the house for months watching the gray snow and I'm weak...sorry. They give me something green and living to fuss over and a mystery challenge to solve in the spring when they bloom to ID. A twofer for only $3.00.

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

I hear you Seil!! I'd been reading this and another forum on the gardenweb (probably" name this plant, ahem.) anyway,.... everyone was talking about Texas. Growing things in hot Texas. When I walked outside later I was so shocked it was still snowing. What the (&$*#*!

...anyway- just wanted to send a shout out to all you all for enabling me to cruise BIGLOTS in February for roses! Never would have occurred to me until now.

I guess I could buy a metal detected or something to fill my time more sensibly. (Didn't someone just find an ancient treasure with one of those?)

• eahamel
    11 years ago

And if you don't have enough temptations, Krogers in Houston has miniature roses in 6" pots for $2.00! The store I was in yesterday (Sugar Land) had a good selection, including some that were red-white striped. I didn't get one, but think I'll have to go back after one, and figure out where to put it later.

I planted 1 rose and magnolia 'Ann' yesterday, and that gives me 2 teas and 2 minis to figure out where to put. Does it ever stop?

I also have two that are in wrong spots that need to be moved, too, that's another challenge. And a several more that need to be moved because they are outgrowing their space, or stuff around them is getting too big. I removed one rose last fall, Golden Celebration, and it's coming back out from the roots, right next to a mini-flora that I planted to replace it.

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

The frightening thing about this for me is, that this truly is a bonafide addiction. I see the picture now - video camera on a 7-11, a shady character weaving in and out from around the front of the building with this HUGE poncho. Police car around the corner, discrete. I run up to get a pack of gum, and the person with the poncho comes out from around the corner, lifting the corner to show the "goods" - a handful of body bag roses saying - "hay lady - need a fix - $5 bucks!".

And with bloodshot eyes from a long winter (ok ok, I'm in California...sigh...), pale skin from lack of sun and gardening time , and completely unconscious of the possibilities of a mismark, or dried out goods, and forgetting to support my local "vendors", without even looking at the labels, in desperation I...

• User
    11 years ago

but harmony, have you not been putting weaker folk to shame with your firm principles to not order any more roses this year? Or was that last months resolution?
    And anyway, you are only going to get cirrhosis of the wallet whilst your liver remains in fine fettle.

Writing here with puffer firmly clamped between teeth (but remaining cigarette free, if not reducing the nicotine yet).

• User
    11 years ago

Seil,
    I just think its a shame that when the smaller, more conscientious nurseries are struggling to survive, people will support (and thereby encourage) the laissez-faire business practices of these producers of shoddy product, geared to appeal to those who don't know any better. We know better, don't we?

• User
    11 years ago

Whoa, I did not know body bags arrive this early. Thanks, Seil and all the other enablers!
    I have been good (e.g., ordering all of my 2013 roses from online nurseries), but now it is JUNK FOOD time. Starting this weekend, I will haunt the big boxes and garden centers starting this weekend. Those body bags are yummy!!!

I have run out garden space, but I am telling myself that they do sell pretty good pots at Costco….

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Ok, I bought one from a big box store, but in my defense, I have close to 100 ordered from private nurseries, so I dont feel too bad about my one impulse buy :)

Tammy

• lucillle
    11 years ago

"I just think its a shame that when the smaller, more conscientious nurseries are struggling to survive, people will support (and thereby encourage) the laissez-faire business practices of these producers of shoddy product, geared to appeal to those who don't know any better. We know better, don't we?"

My two cents:

I'm very much for supporting small quality businesses. But just as buying a bag of Cheez Doodles isn't going to affect, let's say, the sale of pate de foie gras, I do not think a few body bags here and there are going to seriously affect the small growers.
    There are many people who buy the body bags and simply will not pony up fifteen or twenty bucks plus shipping for one rose. And those of us with a serious rose jones are not going to decrease our fall orders on the chance we might run into body bags in the spring.

There's more than enough room in the world for Cheez Doodles AND foie gras.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Ugh...I dont understand why my posts keep showing up twice...sorry!

This post was edited by TNY78 on Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 12:31

• Kippy
    11 years ago

I think there are two sides to this coin.

I spent my "rose budget" this year on bands. And I have to say that it is very very tempting to run on down to the local nursery and buy some ready to plant in the landscape sized plants. I know my bands will be a good size in a year or so, but that is really hard to wait.

I also note that many of the roses the posters named are older roses. Maybe, if some one at the box stores is noticing, they will note that people bought the old garden roses and continue to bring in a section of them along with the HT's. I wish our local store had a few OGR to offer!

• User
    11 years ago

"There's more than enough room in the world for Cheez Doodles AND foie gras. "

Perhaps you're right, Lucille.

To be fair, my dislike of places like Certified is based on my experience with the company: years ago, at an industry trade show, I met the owners of Certified and I couldn't refrain from asking them what their thoughts were on managing viruses in their production. All I got was a "daggars of death" hostile glare from both mister and missus Certified, which really wasn't too difficult to read. They don't care, all they are doing is selling as much product as they can. Personally, I don't wish to vote for an entity that just doesn't care about the quality (or the lack thereof) of product they push out.

I don't want to suggest that I am telling anyone what to do or not do with their money, but I think its far too easy for people to overlook the negative aspects of the mechanism they are supporting. Isn't it better to be fully aware?

• lucillle
    11 years ago

Of course it is better to be forewarned. There are those who are put off roses by not knowing much about them in the first place, buying one of these body bags, and then wondering why their roses die.
    But for those who understand what they are doing, a bowl of Cheez Doodles can be very satisfying as a snack.
    I certainly meant no criticism of your point of view and see what you are trying to say.

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

But many start out with a miserable body bag and then find themselves buying hundreds of roses from own root growers. It's a disease I tell you, a disease!

It's not just people, either. This poor flicker is so entranced by 'Sally Holmes' that he's forgotten why he's on that bird feeder!

{{gwi:229239}}

• User
    11 years ago

I have an ever growing list of products and companies I refuse to support - it is a pain, really, but there are business practices which are utterly exploitative and even vindictive. Loads of them. My sense of outrage (sparked into life at the merest provocation - ridiculously short fuse too) tends to override convenience, thrift or desire and the intoxicating sense of moral righteousness definitely cranks up the satisfaction quotient....and who doesn't like to bask in ethical smugness? (gah, I even hate myself).

• lucillle
    11 years ago

So, this is totally off topic except that it has to do with doing rose stuff now in preparation for roses later.
    I just today found that the sister of the very nice lady who lives across the street is trying to end a complicated ten year relationship. One of her concerns (among many that are important) is the pair of roses out at their modest property.
    She didn't know what kind they were, only that she loved them, and not him.
    I dug two receiving holes for them next door at her sister's (my neighbor) as she has problems with her feet, and promised help unloading her stuff that she and sis will bring tomorrow.
    The guy? One of my exes. Small world.

• cactusjoe1
    11 years ago

I think you are all crazy ..............................crazy but blissfully loving it!

• annesfbay
    11 years ago

I love the photo of the flicker "entranced" by Sally Holmes :-)

Anne

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

I buy bargain bulbs that don't persist in my warm climate. The poor things only get one season of life but I hate to see them drying up like that. I got a half price x-dwf. Fuji apple that looks perfect to make an espalier from. I wasn't planning to plant an espaliered apple, but for 7.00 I couldn't help myself.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Of course I know better, Paul. And you know that I do support both my local quality nurseries and the ones on line. That's how I've ended up with too darn many roses in the first place, lol! But none of those places can get me a rose RIGHT NOW! And that's what it comes down to, a needed rose fix. I'm bored and miserable and have terrible rose fever and suddenly there they are at the store screaming at me to save them. I know going in that they're probably mislabeled and are not good quality but I needed a rose to grow TODAY! As for the virus factor I have to say that for decades that virus was out there and you couldn't find a rose that wasn't virused. All the roses my Mom bought were virused. It was just a fact. The fact that now some producers are beginning to offer indexed varieties is wonderful but I doubt we'll ever again see a completely virus free rose industry. That horse left the barn long ago and ain't coming back. I've bought roses in recent years both on line and at nurseries here that I've found out are also virused. With all the horrible pests and diseases that are out there now I rather prefer to deal with the RMV. At least it's not an automatic death knell and I get to enjoy the roses for many long years.

Farmerduck, the problem is that they should NOT be arriving this early here! It will be weeks, if not months, before they can be planted. For someone who knows what they're getting into it's still an iffy proposition to keep them going until then. For a newbie they're a total waste of money because they'll never get them to survive long enough inside and if they put them outside now they'll surely freeze to death. Sadly, it's just one more thing that perpetuates the idea that roses are difficult to grow.

Lucille, I love your Cheez Doodles anaology, lol! You're a good soul for helping out like that. When they bloom you'll have to post photos and maybe we can ID them!

Kitty, don't feel bad. I'm always rescuing plants from the clearance bin! I've gotten some really good plants at really good prices that way! Most of the time there's nothing wrong with them that a little water and some TLC won't cure. That mini rose I posted was a clearance bin rescue and it's doing wonderful and throwing some new buds too!

Harborrose, I too started out my addiction with body bag roses. I had my mothers rose garden already but when I decided to experiment with potted roses in a cold climate I bought all body bags because they were cheap and since I didn't know if it would work out or not I didn't want to invest a ton of money into it. Seven years later and up to over 130 roses I guess you'd say I got hooked, lol!

My other winter time passer is bird watching too so I love your bird pic! I have about a dozen feeders around the yard and they eat me out of house and home all winter. The greedy little things!

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

I love it, Seil! Great picture!

Kitty said it best ... " I couldn't help myself."

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Love all the bird pictures! I have a few feeders that I have in front of my front window and love watching them come to feed. One thing I've noticed this year, is I have mainly doves. Usually I'll have a pretty good mix of songbirds, woodpeckers, and of course doves. Maybe because I started to put seed out late this year, I dont know...but its mainly doves :(

Tammy

This post was edited by TNY78 on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 9:24

• Susanne27
    11 years ago

Love the discussion and Seil since I live in southern Ontario can really relate to your weather in Michigan. I can also relate to your spring fever. I was wondering if any of you buy the cheap ht roses to grow just for a season of cut flowers and then discard. Would they grow big enough in my climate in one year to make it worthwhile? The reason I ask is that I have a 'mound' in the back yard that I use for a cutting garden - lilies, tulips sunflowers etc in full sun and was thinking about adding some roses just for cutting. Ht roses are difficult in my cold climate to carry over. Any thoughts?

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Susanne, I hate the thought of roses as annuals but if you're going to do that the cheap ones would be the way to go. And you'll probably be very surprised at how many of the ones you don't think will winter actually do! I'd say go ahead and give it a try!

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    11 years ago

Just to throw fuel on the fire I purchased 2 Paul Neyron at Big Lots grown at "Tyler Nurseries" in Tyler, Texas.
    I also spent more at independent rose nurseries this year than I spent on clothes, dinners out, and vacations combined.
    I've got the disease. Like some of you all it started with body bags--mr. lincoln and oklahoma.
    Blame it on the midwest. Ahem.
    Also, for Big Lots customers 20% of beginning this Saturday at 5 pm. Noticed lots of organic choice garden soil and moisture control potting soil that I will be stockpiling.
    Also got myself a really nice ergonomic wheelbarrow. Very cool.
    Now, if I could just get the 40 feet of 26" deep open trench closed I could get to bed preparation.
    Susan

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

Thanks Susan! I hope my local Big Lots has good stuff too. I really want Paul Neyron.

.....body bags sure are a gateway drug to this rose addiction. ;-)

• TNY78
    11 years ago

oh gosh.....what enablers! I drive right by Big Lots on my way home from the animal shelter tomorrow....may have to take a peek...hoping that Knoxville and Nashville have the same selection!

Tammy

• susan4952
    11 years ago

Kippy? Rose budget?

• Tuggy3
    11 years ago

I am now craving both Cheez Doodles and body bag roses and the stores are closed. I had no idea there might be an OGR lurking somewhere close by that didn't cost 20 bucks plus shipping. Sometimes I think I'm getting a little too long in the tooth to wait for another band to mature.

I love the Cardinal picture. We don't have them here and I miss them so much. They were always the first to my feeder and the last to leave at night. Lovely Flicker too. Mary

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A word of caution: If you're planning on getting these bagged roses from Big Lots or anywhere else do it quick! In these stores they're thrown on shelf and left to fend for themselves. They get no sun so they grow all that sickly white growth from what ever cane stored energy they have using it up too soon and they get no water so they dry out super fast and die unless you catch them as soon as they show up and get them home to care for them. Even the seemingly better quality boxed ones like at Costco get NO CARE. If you don't catch them in the first week they're put out your chances of getting them to survive get slim. At least at my Lowes/HD/Wallyworld they're usually in the garden center and they may get some light and a little water once in a while but there's no guarantee. So I recommend checking them out very carefully before buying them and if they still look green and viable don't procrastinate. Buy the ones you want immediately and assume responsibility for their care.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

ok...so I went to Big Lots...a lot of the roses were already dead, a but a few looked salvagable. I ended up with Golden Showers, White Dawn and Therese Bugnet. My plan: when (if?) they start to grow some nice canes, I'm going to take cuttings and root them and then discard the crappy rootstock plants...that's how I'm justifying this ;)

I also bought an ownroot boxed rose there that seemed to be doing well for $7.00. They have it labled "Crimson King" shrub rose. The only Crimson King on HMF is a hybrid tea by Kordes, but the canes and leaves really look more like a rugosa. When I google there is a Crimson King hedge rose that comes up on quite a few sites...so who knows what I bought!

Tammy

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

Have y'all seen the neat 8' ornamental poles with a solar light on top for $25 at Big Lots? (this is Bluegirl's evil twin posting)

Love the flicker & cardinal :-D

• Susanne27
    11 years ago

Lucille, you are a riot. Love your cheese doodles and pate foie gras analogy. How amazing is that about the recycled ex.
    Poorbut rose rich. Wow girl. You really have a project on your hands in the spring. I'm sure it will all turn out great.
    Seil. Thanks for the word of caution about the body bag roses. I found a book on growing tender roses in cold climates so decided to order good nursery HT roses and give it a try.

• thomas_kimbal
    11 years ago

You really have a project on your hands in the spring. I'm sure it will all turn out great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seo Consultancy

• jerseyearth Zone 6NJ
    11 years ago

I love the bagged roses! I look for old varieties (which there is quite a few to find.. that are not copyrighted anymore) and I've found lots of them. Especially good is the when I can find Cecille Brunner sweetheart roses. It's always a shot in the dark at Walmart, Xmas tree shops, etc. But, really you just have to look for at least three healthy canes coming out of the bag.
    I also found the Crimson King rosa rugosa there. Hopefully I wasn't fooled into a common rugosa..we shall see. I can't find ANY info on that. Just the Kordes tea rose. :Lets compare notes this summer! :-) Pat at the jersey shore

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're lucky, Pat. I never find anything like that. Most everything here are the old out of patent HTs. Never any OGRs.

The Camelot has leafed out really nicely under the lights. The Blue Girl is just sitting there. I'm starting to worry that that one won't make it. If it would warm up some I could get it outside and it might do better. Where the heck is spring?

• jerseyearth Zone 6NJ
    11 years ago

Seil, I keep on trying. I work at a garden center, and the only roses we sell are repeat bloomers.. tons of Knockouts.. but, I LOVE the old one time bloomers.. less trouble, and a gorgeous show once a year, instead of a piddling disease-soaked showing all the rest of the summer. The Austin roses are the worst here in the humid Jersey shore summers. The teas ya gotta keep on spraying. So.. I bought an "America" Climber, Rosa Rugosa "Crimson King", and a Brownell Sub Zero "Curly Pink" (have since heard bad things..(LOL!),

We shall see! Hope springs eternal. (at Walmart and the Xmas Tree Shop~ :-).. keep in touch.. pat