SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

A waste of money

loribee2
13 years ago

I just threw this away yesterday:

{{gwi:233777}}

Mostly, I posted this because I wanted people to see what these 4-tier portable greenhouses look like a year later. You might notice the duct tape that is patching the areas where the plastic cover has torn. What you can't see from the picture is that the plastic that holds the shelves together has also weathered and cracked, so I don't dare put anything valuable on it even if I wanted to.

My biggest problem with this thing was that it doesn't really keep anything warm at night, and during the day, if you don't open the front, you'll cook your plants if the sun comes out. So even though it seemed like a great idea in theory, when I went to actually use it, I couldn't find a real purpose for it.

Instead, I've set up shop lights in my unheated Tuff Shed. The lights keep the plants warm, the shed protects them from the heat if the weather gets hotter than expected that day. Even with nights down in the 20's, my seedlings did fine out in the shed without any additional heating. And when I do want to bring them out and give them some air, I set them on a table that isn't going to blow over in the slightest breeze.

Just some things to consider if you're thinking about buying one of these. I think I only spent around $50 on the thing, and though that's annoying, I'm even more glad I didn't buy one of the more expensive lean-to type "greenhouses" or something similar. I don't think they would have been any better from a practicality standpoint.

Comments (12)