SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aggiebee

Need suggestions for shrubs for this spot - pics

aggiebee
13 years ago

I want to put shrubs alongside the property line on the side of our lot. This is actually the sunniest spot in the whole yard, full sun pretty much all day long. It is a northeastern exposure and it gets very strong sun in the summer here.

It is a narrow-ish stretch, I just made the bed last year out of a grassy knoll. It's about 7' X 14'.

Right up against it are some of my neighbor's boxwoods, which as you can see below are not in great condition. To the far left is the street and the far right is a forsythia.

Under the black plastic cloche, ahem, is the rose Cecile Brunner. The sticks in the dirt are just my attempt to measure things out.

I want something tall to create some sense of a screen and I want something gorgeous and with several seasons of interest. I am open to having one big specimen shrub and some smaller companions, or having a more formal row of one or two types of shrubs. What I don't want is something that completely disappears or needs to be cut down in winter. I also don't want it to take up the full 7 feet, so if it's not more columnar and spreads a lot, I'd like to be able to prune it without hurting it.

Some I have thought of:

Virburnum nudum -- Winterthur and Brandywine

Korean Spice Viburnum

Red Twig dogwood

Cotinus coggygria

Flowering Quince

Any advice would be appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a link that might help

Comments (8)