SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garden_wench

Need advice about these shrubs

17 years ago

I need a shrub to plant at the corner of my house, in a 7'x7' space, with sidewalk on 2 sides and the foundation of house behind it. There are 3 small, rounded blue holly shrubs, in a row, next to the 7'x7' space.

I need something upright or vase shaped about 8-10 ft high, and not invasive or suckering. Area will get morning sun and late afternoon shade. Well drained soil and mostly sheltered from winds. So my candidates are:

Viburnum bodnantense: not sure if this is hardy is zone 6, but I liked the overall look of it. Does anyone have this in zone 6? How is its growth rate?

Chokeberry Brilliant Red: looks like correct height, easy care, fast growth rate, but does it get invasive by suckering? Also, does it look a little scruffy for a prominent spot?

Ilex verticillata, winterberry, sparkleberry: another shrub that has the right height and nice winter appearance but how much sun does it need? Growth rate and suckering? I have space to plant a male pollinator nearby.

Steeds holly: everyplace I've researched shows a different height and growth rate. And how much sun will it need? Is it more columnar or pyramidal in shape?

Winter hardy camelias: don't know anything about them, does anyone grow them in zone 6?

Plants that I'm not interested in, for now anyway. Yews, already have a lot of them; Sky pencil holly, just doesn't appeal; Dragon lady holly, I wanted something with a different leaf type and this is probably a little narrow for the space; hibiscus, just doesn't appeal to me.

Thanks!

Comments (6)