SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Perplexed when preparing cups for seed starting...

Hi,

I am trying to start some seed indoors. I am using plastic drinking cups. We used a drill with a 1/4" bit and drilled 4 holes in the bottom of the cups. We bought some potting soil, mixed it 2 parts soil to 1 part perlite, and filled the cups with this mixture. Normally, we use the sprayer at the kitchen sink to water them and drain before sowing. Our sprayer is broken, so we just held them under the faucet to water.

Well the cups filled up with water, the perlite has floated to the top and it took quite awhile for the water to drain. I am very perplexed as I haven't had this problem before. I looked at the bottom of the cups and there are 4 good size holes in each and they should drain. Also I added the perlite to 'improve' drainage, so I don't get it. I also don't understand why it is floating to the top. Plus when they were filled they were filled to an inch from the top and once the water drained, they are now half full. What happened?

I sowed seeds using this method a month ago and had no problem. The only thing different is a different potting soil and no sprayer at the sink. Actually the holes this time around are larger than the last time.

Not sure what my next move should be either. [g] I was thinking of just topping them off with sifted potting soil without the perlite and then misting them outside with the hose and sowing, but am still concerned with the drainage.

Any ideas?

Thanks

prairie

Comments (14)