SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliceinvirginia

Help! Germination of peppers and eggplants suck...

aliceinvirginia
15 years ago

I'm mixing types of seeds in one germination tray only because I am planting 3 cells, and only need one plant.

My tomatoes start to peek out after 2 days. Eggplants and peppers more like 2 weeks, if they germinate at all.

I've got the seedling mat, and I've measured soil temperature probably at an average of 85.

I've got a fresh packet for this year of mini bell peppers. I'm now on my 4th try to get enough to grow. I think the last tray got 2-3 seeds each cell, for 6 cells. This one got 6 cells of 3-4 seeds.

The swallow eggplant seeds were stored off and on in the refrigerator this winter - they were last year's seeds. I tried germinating some last fall for a winter crop indoors but I never got around to getting potting mix to transplant them into.

The previous batches of seedlings got uneven water later in the germination process, and didn't get a lot of humidity. Now I am trying to cover the new batch up, and water with a hydrogen peroxide mix to prevent fungus.

Will 25% hydrogen peroxide be damaging as a regular watering blend?

what else can I do to speed things up, especially if I'm using poor quality seed?

Thanks,

Alice

Comments (17)