SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newgirlinnorcal

Is it possible to save One-Cane-Wonders?

NewGirlinNorCal
11 years ago

Thank goodness it's going to rain again here because I swear, I'm impatient enough without the weather pretending to be an early spring when it doesn't mean it.

I would love some advice- I have four roses in my back yard- two reasonably happy, a Mr. Lincoln and the other pretty solidy identified as Shot Silk. I have two others which are just tragic. Both are on single canes. One is another Shot Silk and the last is an as-yet-unknown yellow HT.

All four are at least 20 years old if not 25+. They were horribly treated by past mow & blow gardening services which apparently cut the roses back to about 18" every year. Compounding this the roses were swaddled in landscape fabric 10-15 years ago with 6" of river rocks piled up on top of the roots.

The single-cane Shot Silk grows to 7ft in search of sun so I've moved it to a better spot and I think it ought to do pretty well.

But the last one- I just don't know if there's any hope. When I dug it up the foot long and 5" wide root (which was actually sideways just below the rocks/landscape fabric) was very dead and had mushrooms growing off it. But at one end a thick cane had sprouted new root stubs. So I've dipped it in hormone and put it in the sun and now I'm telling you guys mostly because I know you've been through this. I wouldn't even bother except the one flower I got off the plant last year was magnificent. It's a very full HT with the most incredible honeysuckle scent.

Anyway- I kind of just wanted to share with people who understand how it's easy to get emotionally involved with a plant.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County