SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
armymomma_gw

Container Comparison (duplicate post)

armymomma
14 years ago

I inadvertently put this in the tomato forum, I meant to post it here, so my apologies if I irk anyone for posting it a second time!!!

I just wanted to share this with you all as I found it interesting. I sprouted a few campari seeds, and since I sometimes can't bear to kill a hardy seedling, I stuck the one on the left into the only available container I had (the half soda bottle) as my tray of cups was full. the one on the right was potted into a paper coffee cup, same as I did all my other seedlings.

5 weeks later, the coffee cup one is about half the size as the soda bottle one. Same soil, same watering, same "fertilizer" (half strength liquid seaweed), same lighting (mostly sunlight). The only difference is that the one in the soda bottle was planted low, and I've been filling it in as it gets bigger (vs. potting it up).

These were both grown in my house too. Prior to this my seedlings were in the garage, but these are from the second batch and since I was out of town a lot, I kept them inside so I wouldn't have to mess with a lighting timer.

I used the coffee cups because I had them (they were free) and they worked very well for me in January. I think next year though I may use the soda bottles instead, they seem to give better results..or maybe I will do half and half and compare more than one variety.

Any thoughts on why this happened?

{{gwi:229473}}

Comments (7)