SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldtrap2690

My lotuses: Small Leaves on some and never any flowers on all

goldtrap2690
15 years ago

Since the spring of 2006 I brought 4 lotuses from www.waterplants.com and the tubers came in top shape. 2 Plants (Empress and Frankly Scarlet) got potted in 5 gallon, 12inch pots and were sunk into my 160 pond which is situated on the west wide of my house getting about 6 inches of water above the tubers. The other 2 plants (Mrs. Perry D Slocum and Red Scarf) were planted in 5 gallon 7 inch bowls that have about 2 inches of water above the tubers and are standing out in full sun at my grandparents (1 block away)

There are 2 problems I'm facing:

All 4 simply just have never flowered for me ever since I brought them. I just don't know what the problem is. I fertilized them once a month with the water lily tabs and follow the dosage. They are also planted in cow manure and receive plenty of sunlight.

While the 2 lotuses at my house are growing big enough to make any lotus grower proud (They have 5ft leaves and have even escaped out of the pots I grew them in so now I have to untangle them when they are dormant), The 2 at my grandparents house have extremely small leaves. All are 5 or less inches in diameter and rarely ever form aerial stalks. I just don't understand why. I was hoping this would be the results of my grandparents plants because they are both planted in the same bowl as this lotus here http://www.victoria-adventure.org/lotus_images/lotus_rs.html

Any ideas as to why this is happening? I live in Los Angeles in southern califonia and have never seen one flower bud form or any large leaves on my grandparents plants for the three years i've grown them all of them.

Comments (5)