SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janinelevi

New Fish Owner Worried about Comet

janinelevin
10 years ago

Greetings - I have a new(ish) pond that has cycled and tests within "ideal" levels on laguna 5-way dipsticks. It's just under 400 gallons, above ground with a large variety of oxygenators, water lettuce, water hyacinth, bog plants, and water lilies. I have a pump and an urn in the center through which water circulates and aerates. I have two other smaller ponds of the same design. All three ponds have supported fish happily since they arrived about a month ago. I have taken great care to do exactly what the experts at Sunland Water Gardens have instructed me to do as regards fish care. I do not overfeed or leave floating food behind.

In the large pond, I have two comet goldfish, three shubunkins, a plecostomus, an apple snail, and four 4" koi. One of the comets (his name is Comet. Silly I know), anyway, Comet was the joker of the bunch and the liveliest, most social of the fish until about five days ago. He has gone from being totally orange to having white areas on his side and top, and he spends most of his time resting under lily pads. He will swim down when startled, and occasionally takes a turn around the pond, but he does not hang with his pals anymore. He does not seem to breathe faster than the others, though I am by no means familiar with how quickly a fish should breath. His fins are not clamped. He does not seem to have any open sores or worms hanging on him. He does not seem distressed. But his behavior and color have changed.

Should I do something or wait? I am quite worried.

Thank you in advance.

Comments (11)