SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leezen4u

Baronne Prevost + Rose de Rescht + other picks - help / feedback?

leezen4u
12 years ago

Anyone have experience with these two in a coastal california environment? I am 1.5 miles from the South Coast Botanical Gardens (Palos Verdes) and 1 mile from the ocean. We do not get fog as much as the beach gardens do because we have some elevation and many times the fog is below us. But I am concerned about mildew, rust, botrytis, insects, etc... Do these 2 repeat bloom for you? Is balling a problem? I do fertilize but want to avoid spraying if I can....

Anyone have good / bad experiences with these OTHER ROSES in So Cal?

I just received from Chamblee's and Antique Rose Emporium (both did a great job by the way):

Reve d'Or, Mutabilis, Monsieur Tillier, Mme. Berkeley, Maman Cochet and Mrs. Dudley Cross, Belinda's Dream, Carefree Beauty, Marie Pavie and New Zealand (for a semi-shady spot).

I will be buying:

Austins - Golden Celebration, Mary Rose, Sharifa Asma, Lady Emma Hamilton, Gertrude Jekyll (to be espaliered), Jude the Obscure and either Graham Thomas or Teasing Georgia to be sited as a climber.

Also - Bonica, Altissimo, Sally Holmes, Gruss an Aachen, Secret, Peter Mayle and Ingrid Bergman.

My wish list (when I can figure out where to put them) right now is:

Cornelia, Lyda Rose, Darlowe's Enigma (shady spot), Sophie's Perpetual, Mrs. R.M. Finch, Leonie Lamesch, Phyllis Bide and Sheila's Perfume. I really want Lamarque and Grandmother's Hat, but I probably won't have the space.

The board's suggestions have been really helpful and I really appreciate you guys!

Thanks Everybody,

Lee

Comments (3)