SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
akatheswede

newbie needing guidance

akatheswede
15 years ago

I am getting ready to put in my pond and am unsure of a few things, well almost everything. I planned on making it 6x6x2.5 I have a 12x12 liner. This would only leave 6 inches of overhang and I see from some liner sites to leave 2 feet of overhang, but this would mean I would have a puddle. Is 6 inches enough overhang? Also due to depth issues and volume I am going to get comets/shubunkin. Will this be deep enough for them? I have a brother in law who got feeder goldfish and they survived in his preformed 18" deep pond so I wasn't sure if I could go a little shallower. I also plan on doing a waterfall which I will get a chunk of liner for under it but I plan on doing a "skippy type" I wanted to make it out of a rubbermaid tote. How big should I make it, the pond will be about 675 gallons. Also can I cover it, the info I have read about them says to keep them open for sunlight. Which by the way it will get morning sun till about 1 then be in the shade. When can I add fish? I will add pond starter to dechlorinate and microbe lift to seed the filter is there a time amount to wait or do I have to watch for the algae to balance? I have tried to find out most of this but have mixed results and this forum seems to be very good. One last thing that I request. What plants would work in this situation. I have found water hyacith, water lettuce and anacharis but was unsure if these would work in part sun. If the anacharis would work how do I root it since it comes in bunches unrooted? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)