SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rferg800

Ready to get started. My 1st pond/falls.

rferg800
14 years ago

Sorry I'm new to this. The wife has used these forum sites before but I could use some input from those who know. I might be biting off more than I can chew. I staked out the pond and streams today. Took a lot of measurements and here's what I came up with. Pond - kind of an oval 10.5' wide X 24' long. Half will be about 4.5'deep. This end was going to have the skimmer. Other half only able to get about 1 foot deep, due to major tree roots. This end will have one of the two streams, (A) dumping into it. The second stream,(B) will enter the pond at the transition where the side drops from 1 foot deep down to 4 foot. The streams measured on the out side of the curves (A)= 50' (B) = 45'. The falls/streams were going to start from up a hill. I have one of those bulk fluid shippers in a metal cage, I was going to try to turn it into a bio-filter. It measures about 3'9" cube and already has a valve fitting at the bottom. Hoping to use this fitting as the in port for an up flow filter and cut the top out to form the falls / feed the streams. When I ran a level live to pond from bottom valve there is a rise of 5'2". The streams will be about 12-18" wide where the water will flow. I like the bottom drain, sediment chamber, external pump set up I've read a lot about here. Sorry to be so long winded. The wife took some pics but not sure how to add yet here. 1st question: How big a pump? 2nd? will I need additional pump in skimmer? 3rd? and last for now. Is head height in this description 5'2" or 8'11" where the water would spill out the top of falls?

Comments (7)