SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oncidiumgirl

Dying Oncidium, Please Help!

oncidiumgirl
16 years ago

So I just finished reading an old "What's the dumbest orchid thing you've ever done thread"...and I still feel like an idiot. I bought a "Tahoma Glacier Oncidium" from a garden store (it came w/ a tag from McLellan Botanicals.) It had two huge spikes and bloomed beautifully for weeks (though these little guys tried very hard to open up and never made it free from the leaves)

{{gwi:208599}}
Then one day I noticed that the leaves on one of the bulbs had turned yellow and were drying (i.e. dead.) Over the next few weeks it was a steep decline until I finally got on these forums last night and realized that no, a 4' shop light 5 FEET above the plant was not going to cut it...So my once healthy plant now looks like this {{gwi:208600}}
I've moved it (and the new orchids my sister just bought for me for xmas) to just 4-6" below the 4' shop light and I'm planning to order these new lights from FarmTek. I have three Oncidiums and two Cats. All but one should have "medium to strong" light according to Norman's. Will one 55W CFL be enough for 4 plants or do I need more? Will one 24W CFL work for my one Oncidium that needs low light?

I'm thinking I also need to repot the dying Oncidium - the brown bulbs feel squishy and rotted and one of the remaining leaves looks like it has wrinkles at the base now though I've been watering it about every 5 days, when it dries out...which means possible root rot if I remember correctly (from the 2,000 posts I've read in the last day.)

{{gwi:208601}}
Any advice for or against this in this case? (I've found several useful FAQ's on repotting so hopefully I can take care of that ok.)

I've also read here that some recommend repotting new plants right away in case there is any root rot. I was planning to order potting mix from Repotme.com - any good or bad experiences with them?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Tiffany

Comments (23)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus