SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

Brutish stems, dainty flowers = yuck. Help!!

This plant was purposefully planted by the previous owner, but I don't know quite what to do with it. The stems are thick and manly and really s p r e a d out into a wide space. Then a few dainty flowers pop up that just aren't enough to justify the bully stems and amount of space required. I would not only like to know what it is, but I would ALSO like to know if there is a way to prune it or cut it back so that the foliage is less and the flowers are more. Then it would be pretty! Flowering Spurge has been one pretty good guess I've gotten, but my flowers seem to be a bit different.

This is a close-up of the flowers. They have a clear lilac tinge around the edges.

{{gwi:309517}}

Here's the bully foliage. You can see that it is thick and yellow-green at the base. It spread out along the ground for several inches before shooting up. The stems thin as they rise to the flower.

{{gwi:309518}}

Side view of the foliage. It is thin, sparse, and small.

{{gwi:309519}}

Not only would I appreciate an ID, but I'd also love to know if it can be tamed, or if it will also look this way. The foliage dies back in the winter (as I remember, only one winter in this house so far).

Thank you!

Deanna

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County