SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stanlie_gw

Critique my pond

stanlie_gw
16 years ago

Ive never done this before so Im winging it as I go. Im building a 12x9 step pond /water feature. No fish just a huge 3 tier fountain in the center. Lots and lots of country rocks and a few fleurs.

The bottom level is 10x7 and around 3 ft deep. Then theres a 2' ledge/step all the way around. I put about a foot of bug dust I had left over from building the patio in the bottom. Then I rolled this 3x3x2 rectangular Toyota sized foundation stone into the center and covered it with some old carpet so any sharp edges wont poke a hole in my liner when I sit the tiered fountain on top.

Im using left over rubber roofing for my liner. I have plenty to go up and over on both ends. But on the sides I only have enough to go up but not over. Im thinking of using roofing stuff in a tube to glue pieces on top of the sides to keep water from going under the liner. Think of a stair step. The liner is on the tread and goes up to the top of the riser but it doesnt continue up on the next tread. So Im thinking if I hang a piece of liner over the edge and seal the seam then water wont be able to run behind the liner. I figure as long as the seams not under water it should hold. And I figure if it does leak a little the ground should absorb it. Does this sound like a plan that will work. Im open to any better suggestions..

Also I hate ponds where the liner shows so I want to build a dry stack stone wall on the step resting on the rubber with the rubber going up the back of the wall but not over the edge. The glued seam will be hidden behind the back top of the wall. Then the edges of bigger rocks will rest on top of the wall and be the edge of the pond. And other rocks will rest on these in places. The wall will be 2' tall but I only plan for about 2/3 to be under water.

Where the pond is located there are two down spouts that currently will drain into it. And the patio slopes/drains that way too. I can reroute the down spouts if needed. But Im thinking if I let them go in and do an over flow then the pond will flush itself every time it rains. What do you think.

What kind of pumps, skimmers and other stuff do you think I might need to complete this set up. Im a lazy 57 year old woman so Id like easy upkeep. It freezes here in the winter so I dont want a bunch of junk to cart in the barn in the winter. Thanks in advance for your help and for having the patience to read my novel. ;-)

Comments (7)