SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buffington22

Seasonal Affective Disorder?

buffington22
14 years ago

Here in north Louisiana, we have experienced a winter like few that I can remember! In the fall we had 40 odd inches of rain, followed by several extremely cold snaps for us that have hung around for weeks. Usually, a cold snap lasts 2 days and then it warms up into the high 60's. I have had a "hopeless" and depressed feeling about gardening lately,ie, "It's too much for me to handle,Why do I have all these roses and hydrangeas that I can't possibly take care of?", etc. When I would take my dog out into my garden, I found no joy of anticipation of spring or delight in the coming yardwork. Then Friday and Saturday we had sunshine, temps in the 50's - 60's and I was able to be out in my garden! I pruned and fertilized my roses and other treasures with cottonseed meal, manure and alfalfa pellets. I also sp'd 2 EXTREMELY thorny roses and planted 2 that were in pots. Then I planted a flat of pinks in a rose bed for some color now. All my assorted daffys and narcissus are beginning to bloom and the forsythia is showing color. I'm cured! And today snow flurries are expected followed by the same on Friday and maybe Sunday as well. As I've said before, I'll take our hot humid summers if it means we can have moderate winters!

Comments (24)