SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neuf512

Seed starting kits and lighting

neuf
10 years ago

I started posting under someone's previous post ("Seed-starting cell kits") and was advised to start a new thread. I have been spending way too much on annuals for the 20 to 30 containers I plant outdoors for the spring-summer-fall. My urban lawn soil is terrible, shady, and infested with Maple tree roots from trees I do not own, so I do most all my gardening in containers. Considering the concept of growing from seed was prompted by the fact that I am to the point where I cannot grow grass in my back yard from conditions I cannot control. I need to just mulch the lawn and then plant a significant amount of ground cover. When searching for Ajuga (Carpet Bugleweed) and Vinca Minor seeds, I noticed the "Biodome". Comments from flora_uk and Dave suggested that I use more common trays, pots and medium, which suits my financial situation. I found what appears to be a good, cheap kit: http://www.novoselenterprises.com/products/single.asp?Ia D=5676. My questions are 1.) should I use the pellet type medium sized for the cells or just use seed starter soil? 2.) Can I just set the kit on a work bench under a regular fluorescent fixture w/ timer, or do I need a more sophisticated rig to position the lights closer to the tray(s)? 3.) Do I need to move the seedlings into bigger pots prior to sticking them in the ground or flower pot?

Comments (12)