SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mgeca

First Fish

mgeca
15 years ago

Well, I always swore no fish. Today I have two orphans from a pond someone is abandoning (do people really do that?).

Appear to be two comets. The larger 6-7" is gold with white belly, nice tail. The smaller, about 5" is white with spots of color. So, it was in you go and let's see what happens. The gold one seemed to love the pond. I have two fallstones 3-4' wide with considerable water going over them. The bigger fish started cavorting in the turbulent water and apparently enjoys it.

The smaller white was bashful at first, hasn't taken a "shower" that I have seen. This afternoon the two were swimming "shoulder to shoulder," almost touching. I thought it was nice but also was hoping they weren't discussing having a family.

Now test kits, dechlor etc. They seem vigorous, experienced and good pond fish.

I'm hoping none of the behavior is ominous--is it normal? These two fish shouldn't really cause any cause of load on an 1800 gallon pond? I have half-a-dozen lilies now.

No zealot like a convert and now I right away see the attraction of fish. They do seem to have personalities.

Wish me luck,

Mike

Comments (20)