SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jalal_gw

Fungus or fin rot? Treatment recommendations please

jalal
15 years ago

Please help me identify what is wrong with these fish and treatment suggestions for sick fish and pond. Long story but here goes. Three weeks ago I added 4 small (3") butterfly koi to my pond. They were in quarantine tank for two weeks before going into the pond. A week after being in the pond I got a major algae bloom which was gone in a week. All pond parameters are normal. This week our temps went up to 80F and on Sunday I noticed two of the kois had funny looking white stringy stuff on them. The first one was on its tail which looked completely fuzzy and this fish was staying away from all the other fish in the pond. The other had this same white fuzzy stuff on it's fin on the back. I decided to remove them from the pond the one with the most fuzzy stuff I found in the settling chamber. Put them in a 10 gal aquarium (all I had at the time) with just pond water, an air stone and an aquarium filter. Also added 1 tsp of Melafix as only stuff I had on hand. By the next day the first fish was completly covered in this fuzzy stuff, the tail completly gone and it's belly was all red. Fish was just sitting on the bottom of the tank so we netted it out and euathanized it. I also did a 30% water change and added more melafix. This evening the other koi has this white stuff all over it as well. Is there any thing I can do to save this fish and of greater concern what about my other fish in the pond. None of them have any of this fuzzy stuff showing.

Comments (4)