SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashlie_neevel

HELP!!! I need advice on pump - fish - plants - winterizing

Ashlie Neevel
10 years ago

Hello Everyone! (This is long I hope you packed a lunch)

So I am planning a small pond and waterfall system for my backyard and I need advice.

First I will explain what I am going to construct and then I will ask my questions. The pond is as shown in the image I included. It is a pond with varying heights. The first "step" is .3meter in depth (1ft) The second "step" is .6meter in depth (2ft) and then the pond drops off to a depth of 1meter (roughly 3ft) The other measurements are included in the image. (metric system sorry lol)

By my calculation this is roughly right around a 700 Gallon (2650Liter) pond. (Math was never my strong suit so please correct me if I am wrong LOL)

I know that for every centimeter of waterfall lip I need 100-200 liters per hour. I know that I want a strong stream so I am going with 200 liters per hour for every centimeter.

I have 3 waterfalls each with 30cm lips so that is :

30x3x200=18,000 Liters per hour (4755 GPH) / 60 minutes = 300 Liters Per Minute (roughly 79 GPM)

The height of my waterfalls are .4 meter(1.3ft) / .8 meter(2.6ft)/ 1.2 meter(3.9ft) from ground level.

I know when choosing a pump that I must consider the LPH/GPH needed for the waterfall but also the "push" out of lack of a better word for how high it will pump water.

The most economical pump (in initial cost as well as operating cost) I could find is the Messner ECO-X2 20000 .

This pump pumps 19,600 LPH (5,177 GPH) and the height it will pump to is 5.2 meter (17foot) @ 205 watts

NOW.... with knowing all that here comes the questions for you:

Question 1.

Is that pump the right choice for what I am planning?

It meets the Liters per hour(GPH) I need and it has more than enough umpf to push the water to the height of my waterfalls.

Question 2:

I'd like to have some fish in this pond. Will the strength of my waterfalls be too much to have fish?

Question 3:

If I can have fish: How many fish are recommended for my pond taking into consider all of the above?

It is worth mentioning that these fish would have to remain in the pond year round.

Our winter daytime temperatures range from 26.6 Fahrenheit to 41 Fahrenheit (-3 to 5 Celsius)

Our winter night time temperature range from 14 Fahrenheit to 37.4 Fahrenheit (-10 to 3 Celsius)

Question 4:

If it is possible to have fish under these circumstances:

Which types of fish would you recommend?

Question 5:

Would I need to do anything specific for the fish in winter?

We intended on turning our pump off when temperatures first started to go to freezing at night and resume when the chance of a freeze had passed. We also intended on running the pump only 6-12 hours a day during the warmer months.

Question 6:

Our summers are very mild. Temperatures in summer range from 74-84 degrees with a day here and there at 89 or so. Is there anything that needs to be done for them for summer?

Question 7:

Obviously I would like to have aquatic plants in my pond, but I have never grown aquatic plants. My pond will have a Firestone Rubber Liner with a layer of gravel over it.

How do you plant the plants?

Obviously in a flower of some sort but do you put gravel in the flower pot instead of dirt?

Anyways.....

If you've made it through this whole post god bless you you have the patience of a saint LOL!!!

Thanks I really appreciate your help.

Ashlie :)

Comments (6)