SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seamstress_gw

Tulip seed storage time/germ testing

16 years ago

Not sure if this should be here or perhaps the Bulb forum. I opted for this one because passionate seedies usually grow all sorts of things from seeds ;-)

Have some species tulip seeds, tarda and clusiana. Harvested last summer, stored in sealed canning jar in fridge. Wondering what their lifespan might be, as I'd like to give them away in the Seed Exchange forum but I don't want to ask for SASE only to send someone bum seeds. Postage cost is too outrageous these days to waste someone's money.

I could do germ testing, but will this work since it seems they need a degree of stratification before germinating? I poked around google and couldn't find any definite answers as to whether germ testing will work without stratification.

If there were more seeds, I would just do it, but there isn't much and I don't want to waste any if a standard germ test (without stratifying) won't work.

I'm enough of a seedie to tell the difference between chaff and plump happy seeds, but I'm new to tulip seeds as far as longevity, germ testing, etc.

Comments (2)