SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanadoll_gw

Can Roses on Multiflora Rootstock Grow In Alkaline West?

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

After lots of lurking and learning from you (and enjoying it immensely), I've decided to join the discourse and ask a thorny question (sorry). I live in the semi-arid hills of SW Idaho, where the summers are long, hot, and dry. Our annual rainfall is about 12 inches, and we have alkaline soil. Roses do well here, especially Austins, which grow huge. We have no blackspot or Japanese beetles. Noting how highly you think of Palatine, I have ordered from them a few times, but their roses seem to have some weird growth habits in my garden. For example, my three "Sisters Fairy Tale" Roses want to be spiders, I think, with the canes shooting out sideways. They're pretty runty, too. I emailed Palatine, suggesting it might be the multiflora rootstock, but they only said I should have my soil tested. All my roses grafted on Dr. Huey grow beautifully, so I'm pretty suspicious of the multiflora. What do you think? I want to order some more roses from Palatine that I can't get in the U.S., but now I'm stymied. Thanks so much for your help.

Comments (13)