SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hollyhockdoll

pictures & algae question

15 years ago

Here's a pic of my new pond:

{{gwi:211131}}

And here's my question: can I add hydrogen peroxide to kill the algae just until the plants grow in & provide more shade, or am I going to have to keep doing it all summer?

The problem is that the pond is in full sun (my previous pond only had morning sun and I never had a problem with algae), and I don't have enough plants yet to balance the nutrient load from the very happy and spawning fish! I don't mind some algae, and I am not usually one to add chemicals to my pond, but the string algae is out of control! I waded in and cleaned it off the waterlilies on Thursday night, and by Saturday morning they were almost covered again! I work full time - I can't spend all of my free time in the pond with a toilet brush. Other than that, everything is as it should be; ph is fine, water is clear, plants in the skippy are growing like crazy, fish are happy (as previously mentioned). I thought about putting up some kind of shade cloth, but that would also hinder the waterlily growth. So I thought I would control the algae w/ peroxide just until the plants grow more to balance the nutrient load. Will I just mess things up? If I don't use the full dosage, will it control the algae without killing it all off (this would be ideal, as I know it's part of the ecosystem)?

As a reward for listening to my desparate cry for help, here's more pictures:

{{gwi:211132}}

(please excuse the algae on the waterfall!)

{{gwi:211133}}

{{gwi:211134}}

As you can see, it's still a work in progress. The structure will eventually be a wonderful screened in gazebo! And the plants will grow in more. And I'll add more lilies. And on, and on. . .

Jill

Comments (24)