SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathielo

Foyer Pictures after the picture hanging question

kathielo
14 years ago

Here are a few photos of my foyer showing most of the walls from different angles. Hopefully someone can suggestsomething that would add pizazz to thisw area. I've decided to reutrn to picture even though I really like it. Can't find another spot for it right now

picture I was going to hang...

{{!gwi}}

On this wall...

{{!gwi}}

Other blank walls needing something..

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

above living room entrance..

{{!gwi}}

front entrance..

{{!gwi}}

Looking toward kitchen..

{{!gwi}}

Office and area above...

{{!gwi}}

Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks, Kathie

Comments (35)

• chijim
    14 years ago

Something like this from Horchow could work over the French doors...it would be dramatic and then you wouldn't have door moulding issues * height - then you could "stack" a couple of pictures over the light switches.

A large pic or tapestry would work on the wall across.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Horchow wall decor

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

I would love to see a large tapestry there or a needlepoint type rug wall hanging up high there.

• Related Discussions

New foyer table pictures

Q

Comments (25)
    Thanks so much for all the nice comments! Yes I will remove the small candle. The plant can be located as well. Totally blessed I got the drapes from JCPenney from their outlet, got a great deal! They are very heavy. Thanks.
    ...See More

Screwing in picture rails to studs so we can hang heavy pictures?

Q

Comments (19)
    Quite frankly it would be easier to make the drive and hang the mirror / picture/ piano or whatever than to write a step by step description on hanging a cleat system but here goes ONE: Locate and mark a level line where object is to be hung on wall, TWO: Pre-drill the wall side cleat for the number of anchors that is determined to be used, for a 40# mirror that is lets say 24" wide I would suggest 3 alligators. http://www.toggler.com/products/alligator/installation.php or sharkies: http://www.powers.com/product_07585.php One in the center and one on each side 3" - 5" inches from the ends, place the cleat at the the marked location and using a pencil through the holes mark the wall then set the cleat aside and using a 1/4" masonry bit drill through the plaster ( if you are lucky you could hit lath and wont have to use the anchors, just drywall screws ) insert the alligator and gently tap in with a hammer until flush to the wall (check the manufactures instructions). Using flat head screws tighten the cleat to the wall. THREE: Locate the other half of the cleat to the object being hung and attach it using an appropriate sized flat head screws and place your object just above the wall cleat slide it down and your done. Make sure that you understand the cleat system: http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22french+cleat%22&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images I have literally used thousands of the alligator wall anchors in all sorts of materials and as far as I know there was never any failures with them. Stud attachment isn't necessary for this hanging system... the plaster literally does the holding
    ...See More

farmgirlinky kitchen before/after -- too long, too many pictures

Q

Comments (96)
    This is the kitchen that has been in my brain for at least 10 years, and here you have gone and done it perfectly!!! I'm going to Pinterest the bejebbers out of it as inspiration photos for the coming renovations (as soon as I finish all these pesty bathrooms!). Seriously, I have wanted a 4 oven Aga plus a module for ages. I already have the full 601 fridge & freezer (so a little bigger than your Subzero.) And I plan to put a big barrel hood over it all. And you have a big island with not huge aisles! And you have soapstone! I really think we're channeling the same frequencies. I'm totally in love with your butler's pantry! We didn't inherit one, but I may use the cabinet sliding door idea for the walk-thru pantry I'm planning. It solves my problem of a tight space and not really wanting all open shelves! Ok, I'm off to study this kitchen more deeply! Truly, I know this reveal is several years past now, but wow just the same! Great job! Always ;-) Hunzi
    ...See More

Question about hanging pictures above bed

Q

Comments (25)
    Ajsmama and Justgotta, me too. I live in earthquake country and when I saw "Question about hanging pictures above the bed" by Crashboombang -- well, LOL! I like the three pictures very much. It fills the wall in a pleasant way and I think incorporates the nightstands visually. Besides, in decorating remember the 3, 5, 7 rule! Do please be careful to hang them so if they fall they drop behind the headboard and not in front of it on your head! And please show us a picture of them after you hang them up.
    ...See More
  • les917
    14 years ago

Honestly, I don't think you need to hang anything above the switchplate on that wall. It appears that the foyer closet door opens onto that wall, and right next to that you have the lovely french doors. Get some umbrellas for the umbrella stand, or in the alternative use that as a vase (weighted with some bags of stones or aquarium gravel) for some tall stems of greenery, branches, or bamboo stalks and palm leaves, or tall grouping of river cane in a darker stain.

I would also think about moving that charming table, lamp and mirror to the spot where the grandfather clock resides currently. Leave the chair there, so the table has almost a desk feel and also gives a place to sit and put on shoes, etc.

Take the artwork you bought and hang it where the mirror and table were.

Perhaps the grandfather clock could find a home in the office or a dining room?

I don't think you need anything above the french doors or on the blank walls to either side of the foyer ledge. Too many focal points confuse the eye.

Can't tell for sure from the pix, but I would also wonder if the rug would be more effective running the other direction, from the door to the vignette by the stairs, rather than across in front of the staircase.

What I would love to see is a richer, warmer color on the walls.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    14 years ago

I think wider shots of the areas in question would give us a better feel for balance. I always try and view/take photos from just behind the entrance point of an area- what your eye encounters when you first see it. Once I have a feel for the bones of the viewing area and get an idea of "I need big here, horizontal there, and impact wall here" I can zero in on the specific needs of individual zones.

• chijim
    14 years ago

Just playing around.

Jim

{{!gwi}}

• judydel
    14 years ago

I was agreeing with les until I saw what jim did. That's pretty cool jim. I may enlist your help down the road when I need some magic pictures created : )

I agree that I would like to see different paint color. I'm not sure what . . . but I'm not feeling that color with the white trim and light oak floors for some reason. It isn't terrible now, but it could be a better combination down the road when it is time to repaint. Of course this is all IMHO.

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

I was looking at Ballard Designs for another post & noticed that BD has their annual art sale now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballard Designs prints

• kathielo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks all for your suggestions. I've been toying with the idea of moving the clock anyway, just haven't found the right place for it. I have a split card table in my office and was going to switch that with the clock. But I like the idea of moving the little cherry table over. I'm going to try that. Jim, that gives me a great idea. I love those representations. The only thing there is the stacked pictures again are higher than the casing.

The paint in the foyer is MS Cashew. It runs though the dining, living room, foyer and upstairs hall. The dining room and hall both have chair rail and above that we did the faux stripes in flat and semi gloss, same color. I really like that look, especially in the hall. I've always thought about changing the color in the foyer but that thing is soooo darn high it scares me to think of my DH up on scaffolding now ( we are 65 ). We did paint ourselves about 10 yrs. ago. I guess it really is time.

We just painted our Master bedroom finally so we'll have to take a break for now. Any suggestions on color. My living room fabrics are gold and the same color as the small chair by the clock. The fabric of the WT in the foyer is also in the LR.

This has made me think...the office is the next to be done, maybe I can convince DH to do the foyer at the same time...same color maybe?

Oh...so little time...so much to do!!

I have to check out BD..I need art for my new bedroom. I'll probably be posting pic of that as well for those of you who responded to my query "What to do?"

thanks again, KathieO

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Everything is just too oak in your foyer. Oak staircase, Oak floors, Oak Howard Miller grandfather clock. Way to much Oak for my taste. I hope I'm not being too harsh. But you obviously have bought a beautiful home that has a great foyer, that you could do so much with. Since your house is so new, why not fill it with unique objects rather than mass produced art work and the like.

Is brass something that you just love?

Scour antique shops estate sales or antique auctions or even craigs list.

I don't know how you feel about antique plates but they are not that expensive and are lovely. You can get old white ironstone plates from the 1890's for around twenty five bucks or under.

Below is some pictures of foyers. Just so you know, mine does not look this good I can assure you.

Your home I can see is lovely and has so much potential.

....Jane

href="http://s671.photobucket.com/albums/vv73/funnygirl350/?action=view&current=Tealeafplatesandbrowntransferwarepl.jpg"; target="_blank">{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• chijim
    14 years ago

"The only thing there is the stacked pictures again are higher than the casing."

IMO - By putting something above the French doors you're not locked into the keeping consistent height w/door casing tops - actually I'm not sure that's something I would follow anyway w/using stacked pics.

Jim

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    14 years ago

Well, that first foyer is way too busy for my taste- even if they remove the two lowest pictures on each side the table is still too crowded IMO. It's as if they have some cool stuff and want to display it all in the same spot. And for me the second foyer is much too too symmetrical. The dog is a nice touch though :)

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Huh?

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

You have a very beautiful foyer which is very traditional in style w/the golden oak trim/staircase/floors. I don't know how much floor space you have, but I would love to see a larger rug which extends to the French doors/front door, rather than stairs/front door, maybe a 5'x7'. Because of the traditional 'flavor', I have to agree you might want to search out local antique shops for things more unique than what are found in new items. The plates are a good idea, as well as vintage pictures, or even a wall of small mirrors. Wall candle sconces can also be worked in a wall arrangement. You can even do an 'assortment', which is usually what I prefer to one picture or one mirror~~keep odd numbers in mind. The foyer has 'good bones' and 'dressing' the space with vintage items will only make it more beautiful. ;o)

• fluffybutt
    14 years ago

Oooh Jim, I love your mock up! That would look great.

• les917
    14 years ago

I think Jim was very creative, but I still think that you need to consider where you want the focus to be in the entry. Do you want people looking upward and all around, or do you want the focus to be at room level? Sometimes people feel compelled to fill all the open wall space, and what that creates is a sense of busy-ness.

• homersmom
    14 years ago

My foyer is very similar to yours and I have kept the interest on the first floor. I am contemplating some sort of arrangement going up the staircase, but for now this works for me. I've added a few more old books to the shelves and a couple of decorating books under the lamp since this picture was taken. The area to the right of the vertical prints is an opening, and to the right of the opening is a wall like yours (butts up against a closet.) I've chosen to leave it bare. Sorry I don't have a pic of that area, but will take one if you'd like.

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Homersmom, that is lovely...could we beg more pictures in another thread???
    Thanks,
    J

• dawnp
    14 years ago

Homersmom,

May I ask where you got the botanicals? I have been looking for some like that!

Great foyer!

• kathielo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again to all.

I'll start with Homersmom...Your foyer looks great. Can you tell me what the paint color is? I think something like that may work for me. It looks similar to my kitchen which is Martha Stewart Autumn Vineyard. Sometimes it looks green, other times it looks greenish gold. I love it. Also, are those just your regular umbrellas or are they something unusual intended for that spot?

About the vintage things....when we first moved here were went to a few antique shows and markets but nothing interested me. We bought a few things which we eventually discarded because we decided they didn't fit into this newer home. I guess I just don't have the knack for mixing decor. I'm usually a better copier than I am an original designer.

patty cakes, my rug is 4 x 6.5. At your suggestion, I turned it on an angle fom the front door to the french doors. I like the way it looks, it evens out the floor space left around the rug. I am also going to try to move that clock and table.

The reason there is so much oak is that is what the builder used. We like the natural oak floors and stairs. The clock has sentimental value....it was bought in memory of my mother and we chose oak because it matched the oak dining room set we had at the time. We no longer have that set but the clock remains. I think I can move it to the office.

I am so glad you all responded. I got some great ideas and as soon as I get my bedroom put back together, I am going to move some things around. This all started because I was moving the art work from my bedroom and thought I could use it in the foyer. It didn't work out. In the meantime I found that painting at Home Goods while shopping with my daughter last Sun.

But now I have a starting point. I really have to find another color.

you know, the funny thing about that paint...the designer from Ethan Allen picked the color and said to use it in all the mentioned areas. She even suggested I use it in the office when I get to it..I'm not. It does look good with the EA living room though.

les, I guess I always thought the focus should be eye level, but I think the bare walls on the second level bother me the most coming from upstairs.

I don't think DH would go for the tapestry idea. I also considered at one time doing picture frame mouldings up there but DH never got around to it and as usual we moved on to another room. I think the height is the drawback to any decorating there. We had a really hard time painting that area when we did it. We probably would have to get someone to do it for us the next time.

Oh well...

Thanks again. Kathieo

• homersmom
    14 years ago

Thanks for the compliments, ladies. Kathieo - the paint color is BM Baby Turtle. It looks green, tan, khaki - depends on the light. The umbrella stand holds a couple of black umbrellas and a few antique walking sticks and canes. I'm always on the prowl for more! I'll hunt around and see if I can come up with some pics of the other side of the room and the second floor ledge.

• homersmom
    14 years ago

Dawn - Sorry, I forgot to answer your question about the botanicals. I got them at Tuesday Morning last year. I actually built the arrangement around those pictures. I fell in love with them and moved everything around just so I could have them hanging in my foyer. Nuts, huh?

• dawnp
    14 years ago

Thanks Homersmom,

No, you're not nuts! It all turned out great.

I'll keep hunting!

dawn

• dakota01
    13 years ago

I think you just need COLOR - the wall color seems light to me and with all the white doors and glass you have no depth or warmth to the space. I would also keep the french doors open.

• kathielo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeanie, yes, that is what I was thinking but in my other post, my question was can I paint the foyer without going all the way through the upstairs hall. And do you think painting the office (behind those french doors) which REALLY needs the paint, the same color as the foyer, or at least a shade of the same color. there are definite breaks at the top of the stairs which some of these pictures show, where I can stop the new color. Just don't know what color at this point. I am just getting some ideas as this will probably be our winter project. We just painted our bedroom and bath and still need decor for that area.

• nhb22
    13 years ago

homersmom - Please tell me about the figures (faces) that you have in your secretary? I have three or four that were my grandmothers, and I think they came from England. They used to be attached to a frame w/ tacky burlap backing, and I removed them. They are packed away in a box, because I never knew what to do with them. I may just unearth the faces and give them to my daughter who has a secretary.

• pupwhipped
    13 years ago

Kathie, this is going to be of absolutely no help to you right now, but I swear I have your foyer's cousin at my home. I don't have the two "closets" on either side of the entry door. I do have the open space to one side as you do, but where you have the french doors, mine is a solid wall. Everything else looks just like yours. As I said, cousin but not exactly a twin to yours. I have that ledge up there just as you do....oh, and all the oak, too.

Okay, all that is nice huh? Problem is I am not at this particular house right now....I am at our lake home that we have been remodeling for the last two years. I may get to our other home next week and if hubby can teach me how to take and post pics, I will show you my foyer. I have the most adorable "circus people" on my ledge...hard to imagine I know. I have a curio cabinet where your grandfather clock is right now. I will say I think my space was little easier to work with as I didn't have as many open spaces as you do. Anyway, if you want and can think of it, remind me to show you your foyer's cousin. HA! It might give you a few ideas...or at the very least, be a little bit fun.

Happy Decorating...it never seems to end, ya know
    pup

• homersmom
    13 years ago

NHB - the figures are Toby mugs made by Royal Doulton. They belonged to my grandmother and great aunt so they hold lots of memories from my childhood.

• slicklydia
    13 years ago

Ballard designs carries the botannicals, but you can get them from Art.com as well (framed or unframed). They are "whimsical dragonflies" or "whimsical butterflies". I actually have both sets and designed my powder room around them. I am nuts!

• nhb22
    13 years ago

Ah....mugs. That explains why mine are flat in the back and do not stand up. They need to be hung on a background mat. I pulled them out tonight. :) Thanks for the info.

• kathielo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pup, yes, I would love to see your foyer. Any and all ideas help. Can't wait!!

kathie

• dakota01
    13 years ago

From your pictures I can't suggest where to stop and start the paint.
    But, I was recently at an open house/new construction and the house had a high entry similiar to yours even had the closets that you have.
    The decorator used moldings and I think wall paper and built frames like double frames had them another color (they were fairly large) and that really filled up the space and it looked Gorgeous...maybe go to a couple of new construction models to get some ideas for your space. It was amazing how they made the entry look..They used tans and blacks.

• joannaxiao
    13 years ago

I really love your foyer much, but gay colors will break original beauty.

• kathielo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pictures 5 and 8 show the two spots at the top of the stairs where I could stop the paint color before going into the main hall. The stairs are L shaped so #5 is on the left of the first landing but second level height and #8 is right at the top of the stairs. That is where I was thinking of stopping any change of color. That way it does not interfer with my faux stripping in the main hall.

Kathie.

• pupwhipped
    13 years ago

kathieo, here are my foyer pictures that I said I would post...for what they're worth. I was in a big ass hurry taking the pics so they are not so great, but I thought you might like to see them. Sorry to all about the size of the pictures...this is only the second time (or third) that I've posted pics and I haven't figured out the resizing deal yet. Obviously the best "things" I have are the two collages. The one on the left is my family and the one on the right is hubby's family. Photos of our moms are at the center of each frame. And oh yes, can you believe that we BOTH still had those cut out silhouettes we did in elementary school? Sweet. Hmmmm, my beyond precious "circus people" on that ledge deal don't look so precious in this pic I posted, but I assure you they are. And I can also assure you that they are beyond dusty cause we've only cleaned up there once in the last sixteen years!

Anyway, just thought I would share.

.jpg>

.jpg>

.jpg>

.jpg>

.jpg>

.jpg>

• kathielo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pupwhipped, thanks so much for sharing your foyer pictures. Those circus people on the shelf are quite unique. I know what you mean about cleaning up there on that shelf. Mine gets cleaned before and the holidays since I decorate up there, but rarely beyond that... maybe once for "spring cleaning". What a pain! Even your chandelier is similar to mine. And your family photos are great.

Since I posted those pictures, I've moved the clock into my office and moved the small table and mirror to where the clock was as someone suggested. It really opened up the space. I am looking to add some small mirrors around the big one for a grouping. I hung the new picture where the mirror was. I'm not crazy about it because of the proximity to the mirror, but I still like the picture so it will stay there for now. I still do not know what to do about the painting issue but I have time to work it out. Thanks again. Kathie