SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gpf11

Rehabbing a pond -- what next?!?!

gpf11
9 years ago

Hi! Longtime lurker, first time poster.

Moved into a house with a beautiful pond last summer. Now -- not as beautiful. A heron and racoon ate up the goldfish. Leaves and a history of way too many fish (I think) made the water gross. And - to top it off - the waterfall pump stopped working. I just drained it and am looking for advice about the next step.

The big pond (pics below) has pebbles and rocks on the bottom. Before I muscle all of them out and figure out where to put them, I wonder if there's another way to get it clean.

Too, I imagine the pebble stream is a main part of the filtration. The water is certainly dirtier since the waterfall stopped working. Since the pump is wired to a switch and uses underground plumbing, I think replacing it on my own might be daunting. The pond guys I've talked to say they'd recommend pulling it out and using a submersible, but the elevation change seems significant. Any advice y'all could provide there would be helpful.

Too, this concrete pond is probably at least 40 years old. It has several cracks that have been repaired several times. It looks like the downhill side of the pond has sunk, as the waterline ought to be much higher on the uphill side. My thought was to find a way to build up the sunken side, create a higher rock wall, and put in a liner to restore the water level to the uphill side. I imagine using a liner would present a risk of puncture and leakage with rocks and concrete under it.

Thanks for any advice!

---gpf11

The pond system is in a sloping yard. At the top is a waterfall into a small pool. Here's a view from the top:
{{gwi:209261}}

The pool drains into a pebble filled stream and works its way down to a larger pond. Here's a shot of the stream and some intermediate falls (there are 7 total):
{{gwi:209262}}

The stream falls into a large pond at the bottom.
{{gwi:209264}}

{{gwi:209265}}

Here's the big pond drained:
{{gwi:209266}}

The pond is fed by a pump housed outside the large pond through underground plumbing. It runs through a switch in the house. Here's a wide shot of the pump housing:
{{gwi:209267}}

Here's a closeup (which also shows a crack in the concrete that appears to have been repaired several times):
{{gwi:209268}}

Here's the pump works on the inside of the pond in a fish cave:
{{gwi:209269}}

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville