SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gordonsweb

Leak is wearing me out!!

gordonsweb
16 years ago

I have had a pond for six years or so and I got this bright idea 3 weeks ago to make it bigger and install a bottom drain and skimmer.

Am I nuts or what? I asked myself that after draining the old one moving all fish to a temp pool and began digging deeper..

Well hard part is done, bottom drain installed, new liner, new skimmer, small waterfall. Pond is now nearly 1400g.

Loosing water, so thinking I have a leak. Adding a inch to two every two or three days. I bypassed the waterfall and it seem to slow down quite a bit so I reworked that area and I sure can't see any wet spots around it now. But still loosing a bit of water.

Last night I decided to close my skimmer down and run all from the bottom drain. Water was down already and I never filled back up I just have a spot where water is just over one of my plant pot so I know if it goes below I am loosing water. I looked at it today about 16 hours after I turned skimmer off and its holding just above the pot.

The skimmer runs on the same pump as the one pulling from BD so I have two lines the BD a 3 inch and skimmer 1.5 inch running back to a Tee. Each has ball valves there to be turned off or play with the flow. So with that shut off there the water level looking in the skimmer is about half way covering the intake. So I am thinking I will first fill up above the intake and leave it turned off and see if water backfilling into the 1.5 inch pipe may be leaking. Of course all us under ground actually piped under the liner, at least just under a plant shelf. What was I thinking.. If I repipe it could be a shorter run than the way it was done today since I reused a old pipe I had used on the old pond..

The back side of the skimmer where the pipe connects is covered with dirt, seems to be dry there.

Not sure if where I cut the liner for the skimmer is leaking or not. All was sliconed up with black rtv. I could lower water level a bit more dry front of skimmer out and unscrew all nuts and bolts remove from front of skimmer and pull back to see if ground is wet behind liner. This would be a job to do so will be last option..

Of course my nightmare has been what if BD is leaking. As of now I don't think this is the case. I think it is somehere in or around the skimmer.

I am ready to sit back and just enjoy the pond which now has only koi back in it, all my goldfish got new homes..Koi just spawned this week as well so guess they are adjusted.

Do have a case of green water at the moment though, until it all cycles..

Once I get this leak resolved I want to run a post about how to winterize this new setup. I think the old pond was much easier and ran mostly all year. Not sure this one can do that with the skimmer and BD on same pump..

Comments (9)