SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mentha_gw

When is the best time to divide Cymbs?

Mentha
15 years ago

Hi all,

I have been lurking here for a week now looking for the answers on my own, but decided to come out of stealth mode anyway. I usually hang out at the HP or Hoya forums, because my orchid growing skills are minimal to say the least. I just bungle with them and sometimes luck out and get a bloom spike. Anyway I just got a whole bunch of cymbs from a flower farm cleaning their greenhouses, and they are in desperate need of division. Some are starting to spike and one has buds. I have them outside in my driveway at the moment, I hear they like some cold in order to bloom. Instead of going through the whole story of how I got them all home, I'll post a link to my blog which tells the whole story for anyone interested. Needless to say, I am the proud owner of 19 very rootbound cymbs with numerous back bulbs. When I posted this question on the HP forum, I got a bunch of statements about the amount of plants I got and none really telling how to care for them.

Some questions I have are:

If by dividing a plant I accidentally cut into a back bulb will it still produce if it has a bit of the rhyzome left or should I toss it out? (I really hate destroying any viable plant material.)

When is the best time to divide them? They really need it now.

How large of a division do I take?

Where is the best place to get Cymb soil and what is the best, yet cheapest way to go? Did I mention there are 19 plants in 2-10 gallon pots which are extremely root bound? What is a good soil for cymbs? They are in a straight shredded coconut fiber. I did experiment with one plant already, but hope I didn't kill it.

How do I clean the leaves without burning them?

Thanks all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchid post on blog

Comments (3)