SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pondbucket

Grow Habit for Hardy Water Lilies

pondbucket
14 years ago

I've had my 2000+gal ornamental pond going for more than a year now, second season really, and we are just now getting to our really hot humid weather. It will top out today with a heat index of 110, about the same as yesterday. I'm wondering if the heat stresses hardy water lilies.

Within the last week I've noticed that my water lilies are producing more and more pads and blooms; however, some of my lilies are putting their pads fairly high above the water, almost lotus like.

Sometimes the pads curl at the edges although they never close down. This is the first time I've seen them grow like this. I would say out of the eight lilies that it is happening to four or five of them. They did well last year but they were all younger plants then.

Is this normal or is something else going on?

I haven't fertilized them in over a month. When I repotted them this spring I added a couple of Highland Rim tabs to the pots. I doubt overcrowding is the issue, at least not roots being overcrowded, because I repotted all but one.

Does anyone know is this is normal?

I know that an emerging pad will come up out of the water vertically and then unfold, but these are unfolding two or three inches above the water and staying there with curled edges.

I know that it is happening to a couple of Joey Tomocik and Texas Dawn types. The only other ones I have are Moon Dance, Marliacae Albida, and one unidentified.

Thanks in advance, and stay cool!

Comments (3)