SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cweathersby

Skippy re-design?

cweathersby
13 years ago

Y'all tell me what you think about my idea-

I've got a big pond with lots of brown water. No amount of water changes are getting it clear (that's what I get for 4 years of neglect..)

Due to some problems encountered with the DIY mechanical filter construction years ago, the only filter I have is a 300 gallon Skippy. I have the pump pushing water to a vortex at the bottom, filter media above it, and a 4" pipe outlet from the front face at the top which leads to the waterfall.

My skippy is basically acting as my mechanical filter as well as biological, so it needs cleaning to get the crud out- not scrubbing clean, just draining and pushing the big stuff out. I have a drain on the front of the skippy- same side as the waterfall outlet- that goes as one of my inlets to the pump so the water can be pumped out.

My question about a redesign is:

I would like to change the vortex design for the water entering the skippy.

I think that if I plumbed it to where the water was pushed from the back bottom of the skippy to the front bottom of the skippy where the drain is that I would be able to remove more crud and send it to my flowers. The water pushed in from this angle on the skippy would still have to go up, through the media, and out the front of the skippy so I hope the biological filtration would continue to work.

What do you think? Any drawbacks that I'm not thinking of?

I usually find out AFTER finishing the project how stupid I am for forgetting a very critical part of the design.

Carrie

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting