SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chip02115

odontoglossum crispum?

chip02115
16 years ago

For years Odontoglossum crispum has fascinated me. Been thinking getting one. I've never seen one "live". I've searched this forum and OSF for any mention of it: Zero. Strange. Do people not grow these anymore? Are they difficult/fussy growers? I grow in S/SE windowsill (with CFL) in Boston, *not* an expert grower in temperate conditions. Anyone have any experience to share about this species, culture-wise? I suspect the need for coolness might be problematic? Southern New England summers are hot/humid >85F/29C. Thank you in advance, alvin

Comments (3)

• richardol
    16 years ago

{{gwi:204257}}I don't have one but people grow them in San Francisco where the climate matches their cold to cool temperature needs. We should be seeing them at show and tell over the next 3 months. That is where I took this picture.

According to OrchidSpecies.com "They require cool, well watered, humid conditions, with medium to heavy shade to thrive".

They are a good sized plant and might not do well indoors. As a guess, I would say that a person who can bloom Masdevallia can grow Odontoglossum crispum.

• howard_a
    16 years ago

"I suspect the need for coolness might be problematic? Southern New England summers are hot/humid >85F/29C"

And that is why there are Odontobrassias, Odontocidiums, Beallara, Aliceara, Wilsonara, etc., etc., Pure O. crispum despite years of line breeding is still too warmth intolerant to do well in places where wide temperature extremes occur. Nothing some A/C and attention to humidity couldn't rectify. My favorite orchids of all are Odontioda's which are O. crispum x various Cochlioda species. All are amazing but Cochlioda is nearly as warmth intolerant as Odont. so you don't see as many of them for sale as the 'intergenerics' I listed above. If you are prepared to make a good faith effort to give an O. crispum conditions it can thrive in, then go for it. Expecting them to do alright in 85F+ next summer will set you up for disappointment.

H

• chip02115
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you richardol and howard_a. Between the large plant size and cool culture conditions, I don't think I can practically provide for this beauty in my current situation. Thank you for the warnings. alvin

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!