SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcjcjcx

Murky greenish water and high PH

jcjcjcx
16 years ago

My pond still has greenish water - not the pea soup green, but greenish/brown/yellow tint. I've still have so much algae in it (blanketweed, string, and soft slimy kind). I keep scooping alot out every day but its neverending.. seems to grow just as fast. . The water is so murky I can't see the bottom.. can barely see down to 1 foot (definetely cannot see the 2' and 3' sections, so I have no idea of how much algae can be down there). I can only see my 4 largest fish that come to the top. I put two small shubunkins in on Saturday and haven't been able to see them since. Every day I am also scooping out alot of pond scum (slimy algae floating on the surface)... I don't have skimmer (will consider it when rebuilding next year) so I usually just use a leaf net to skim the surface, but this is far more than the last two springs.

I'm feeding only sparingly. My lilies and other plants are growing nicely. I just bought 3 water hyacyinth and 3 water lettuce two weeks ago and they are multiplying already.

So aside from the green murky water and all that algae, my only other concern is the ph. Its now up to 9.5.

I went to a pond shop to get something to help with the ph, and the person recommeded that I just use Aquacape AquaClear Extreme (beneficial bacteria). She told me to use that instead of the MicrobeLift Pl that I had been using. She said it works well and is a very popular product and also that I should try that before resorting to stuff like PH Down.

When I got home I put in the 1/2 tsp (for 500 gallons). The box states that I use it daily in cool weather, then monthly in warm weather. I'm not sure often I should be putting it in, as I'm just starting up with this new product. And is it the same kind of bacteria as the MicrobeLift PL? And I still don't understand how this is supposed to help the high ph level..

(By the way, my pump is running through a biofilter. Also I tried putting a bag of barley star under the waterfall, which disintegrated after one week which is why my water has even darker now.)

Does anyone have any recommendations on what else I can do? Should I be more concerned about this high PH? (my pond is usually around 8.0-8.5, last year it peaked at 9.2 in August). My pond is about 600 gallons, and have a total of 5 5-6" goldfish, and 2 2" shubunkins. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings are all okay.

Comments (15)