SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fishhooked

Lost almost all my fish! - What happened???

fishhooked
14 years ago

This is my first post...but I have been a long-time lurker and a ponder for over eight years. My pond is approx. 1800 gallons, filtered via a skimmer, retro bottom drain (yeah...I know), and an ultima II.

I had approximately 10 koi...4 of which where put in with the original pond and had reached probably over 24"...and probably too many goldfish (20 maybe...babies every year).

In my eight years of ponding, I have lost only two goldfish. Very fortunate...and very conscientious.

I left my 19yo in charge of the pond while on vacation recently.

Within 48 hours of leaving - and overnight - almost all my fish died. According to him, they were fine the night before...and all floating the next morning. He took the water in to have it checked - and whatever tests they do (I know it would be ammonia and nitrate at least) showed the water levels as fine. On the advice of the fish store, son did a total water change, added de-chlorinator, and was able to save one koi and a few goldfish. Evidently, the ones that lived long enough to make it to the fresh water were able to recoop pretty quickly. They all appear fine now...show no signs of illness or damage.

So...what likely happened???

I know my suspicions...and there were certainly a couple of parties that took place on the patio where the pond is located. But son - of course - is adament that that had nothing to do with the fish kill.

Any experiences with a situation like this?

I would hate to blame my son unjustly but....it just seems all to evident.

Is there a way to further test the water?

I am so very heart-broken.

I can't even look at the pond without crying.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County