SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ldy_gardenermd

Bog Gravel Filter...Stream Fed & Raised

Angie
11 years ago

Hello ponders! I'm in need of some DIY help and after reading many forums have come here (cause you rock!).

I have a 4000 gallon pond that has a skimmer and a biofalls. I've been wanting a bog area for marginal plants & wildlife for a long time now. We even had a guy come out but when he said it would cost $9000 to do what we wanted we basically cracked up laughing. I mean come on if I had that I would have had the pond professional built in the first place! In any event he keyed me on to bog gravel filters. I've been reading and I totally understand how to build one, the depth, the size of the gravel, the surface area and how it works.

We want to redo our waterfall, we were planning on moving it back and making a small stream that would feed into the pond. Well now that we are going to do that might as well add the bog filter! So we want the stream to feed it but the water needs to run down the stream and then under the bog for upflow through the gravel and plant roots.

I saw the thing at the link below which is a preformed bog filter that does that but I don't want to use a preformed thing.

Is there a way to diy this? We spent a good amount of money on getting a quality pump, skimmer and biofalls and because of that we really want to reuse them.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Garden Bog Filter

Comments (5)