SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

growing from seed in an earthbox

An earthbox is a form of container gardening that use self-watering. I received three earthboxes. The instructions say to plant "x amount of seedlings per earthbox". How many seedlings you put per earthbox depends upon what you're growing.

I'd put this post in container gardening forum, but whenever I post anything there, I just receive grief about it.

As an example it says you can

plant 2 tomato plants in one earthbox, 4 cucumber plants in one earthbox, etc.

The instructions say how much soil to use per box and how full to fill it; when you add the plant food, etc.

Unfortunately although it gives very detailed instructions with planting seedlings in an earthbox, it's extremely vague with growing from seed in an earthbox. I plan to direct sow from seed in the earthboxes I have. First I'll start with cool weather crops, and then once the weather becomes warm enough and the cool weather stuff has matured, I'll move onto warm weather crops.

The cool weather stuff I plan to grow will be

lettuce x4

spinach x5

turnips x5

beets x5

peas x 8

radishes x8

For warm weather stuff I plan to grow:

Cucumbers x4

Tomatoes x2

Beans x16

My questions are basically this. You have this tarp/cover that comes with the

Earthbox. You basically cut holes in it for each seedling you have (8 seedlings, 8 holes as an example),

Making the holes big enough for the root ball of the seedling.

However if IÂm growing from seed in the earthbox from the start, which Is what I plan to do,

Then how long will I have to grow them before the tarp is ready to be added?

Also I tried Container gardening last year, and one of the biggest problems I had was the wind kept knocking over my seedlings.

Will I have this same problem with earthboxes after the tarp is Added or will this provide extra support for the plants?

One Idea I had was to put a towel down and put the earthboxes on the towel. I'd then put grow lights above the seedlings and grow them until they're ready to go

outside. I would gradually harden them to acclimate them

To outdoor climates.

Is it even possible to do this type of setup of starting

The seedlings indoors from seed?

If so, how would I go about doing so? IÂm not really sure.

Comments (3)