SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dynagirl_gw

Water lilly pads detaching???

dynagirl
15 years ago

Hello,

I am desperate to understand what is happening to the water lily pads in our pond. We have new water lily pads (red in color) that grow and reach the surface of the pond over a few days and then all of a sudden we find all of them detached, some without stems, some with varying lengths of stems. We have not made any changes to the pond or pond care, so I am really perplexed as to why this is happening. Has anyone experienced this and can provide guidance on how to resolve it??

Additional background: We live in Los Angeles, and have a pond of ~1250 gallons, in operation for ~5 years. I inherited water lilies (no idea what kind they are, just pink) from a friend and potted them 5 years ago and have NOT removed them ever from the pond (I just recently learned that you should remove them in the winter). Every year the lily pads have emerged, and thrived and the lilies bloomed from April to Sept. This year is the first time we have encountered the lily pad detachment problem. We have 10 koi in the pond and several large goldfish, which have been in the pond for over 2 years now. About a month ago I added fertilizer spikes per someone's recommendations but that has not helped. We have spotted racoons at nite, which I thought were the culprit and have made efforts at deterring them. However one day while tending to the pond, I saw nearly a dozen new lily pads, floating at the surface still attached around 1pm. After several hours I come back to find them all detached and in the filter, some with stems, some without.

I appreciate any information!!!

Comments (7)