SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
montalvo_gw

Did a caterpillar kill my koi?

montalvo
15 years ago

I've had tremendous good fortune over five years with my koi...except for the eleven that I accidentally killed while repairing my pond (and all over 20 inches long!). But yesterday, I discovered one of last year's hatchlings floating belly-up...dead. There were no signs of distress. He had been swimming normally the day before. I checked the water chemistry immediately and everything was perfect. The other thirty-odd fish look great. I couldn't imagine what might have happened.

Then I remembered that two days earlier, I had found a caterpillar and tossed it into the pond. I do this quite regularly, whenever my wife goes hunting for bud-worms on her geraniums. But THIS caterpillar was unlike any other that I've tossed into the pond. He was black with bright red "nubs" all over his body. Vaguely, in the back of my mind, I seemed to recall that caterpillars with ominous markings like this were recognized by birds as poisonous and hence weren't eaten.

Sooooo, could I have poisoned this fish with a venomous caterpillar? Any ichthyologists who are also entomologists reading this post?

Bob

Comments (12)