SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Roses on Balcony

Laurie
12 years ago

I've ordered the following list of roses to arrive this spring. A few of them I've already grown in a prior home so I'm familiar with their habits.

However, for the first time I'm considering placing a few of them on a 2nd floor balcony off of a guest room. The balcony actually gets the best sunlight on my property - pretty much all day long, as it has no cover. It's sturdy (my contractor has give me the ok on it as it sits over the front porch), a good size, and I can fit several large pots up there along with a couple of chairs and small table. I'm also thinking off putting tomatoes up there since I'm pretty sure they won't do well on the ground anywhere.

Anyway, I'd like opinions which of the following would do best in pots, if I go this route; and any tips you can give as far as growing them in this manner.

Papa Meilland

Tropicana

Valencia

Neptune

Reine des Violettes

Ebb Tide

French Lace

Gertrude Jekyll Climbing

Tradescant

I know for certain GJ is NOT a candidate. I grew her before, the regular version and she's a monster! Let alone her prickles alone would take her out of the running.

I grew French Lace and Papa Meilland before and both were on the short side for me. Tropicana was a bit too tall so I think that one is out too. The rest I have no experience with but it seems like Ebb Tide may be ok there too.

I'll have a water supply handy (my spigot is on that side of the house and we intend to run the hose up to the balcony). I'm particularly interested in knowing how to over-winter them up there for next year since it will not be possible to move them off to a more sheltered spot.

Thanks in advance to any help offered :)

Comments (2)