SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

What makes an orchid desirable?

orchidnick
10 years ago

The question came up in the Gallery forum. What exactly makes an orchid desirable? I'll list some of the things I look for and see what others have to add.

1) I cannot have it already. Duplication is definitely out.

2) It must be willing to live in my growing conditions. I bend over backwards on that one and keep banging my head against the wall with certain ones (Dendrobium cuthbersonii for example) that insist on suicide no matter how hard I try.

3) It must complement my collection. There are 6 species amongst the macrobulbon group of the Bulbophyllums. I have 5 of them and have tried several times to grow B cruentum, unsuccessfully I might add. When Andy admits that he can't grow it, maybe it's time to give up. There is one Pleuro amongst the 6 giants in the Pleuro world (really only 5 as regina appears to be a mistake) that I don't have. I'll bend over backwards to get that one at any cost.

4) Price must be reasonable. Exceptions such as above are tolerated.

5) Must must have an interesting and unique presentation. There is a Maxillaria ready to bloom that does not look like an orchid at all. I'm not at home and cannot think of the name, will post a picture in a couple of days.

6) Must be difficult to get. I'm just sprouting some Ophrys that I got from Germany and some Au terrestrials that are easy in Australia but impossible for us. Also got them from that German source. If Trader Joes or HD has them that's a no-no.

7) Must be attractive. Notice how far down the list that one is for me. 5 years ago it would have been much higher. 10 years ago near the top. 17 years ago it would have been at the top. I was at SBOE this weekend and they had a stunning BLC with flowers close to 10" with a strong substance and excellent form and color. Don't come any better. 2 leads with 6 flowers at $100.00. Passed on it but would have paid twice that for Pleuro collossus which is anything but pretty.

I'm hoping for some comments. I realize that size is paramount for some window sill growers, luckily for me that is not a problem so I did not mention it but I recognize it is definitely a major consideration for some growers.

Nick

Comments (14)