SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnndc

Geeky sunlight question for you lighting experts

johnndc
16 years ago

I just read on the lighting forum that sunlight intensity drops precipitously as you move away from a window, so that it's really only worthwhile to have your plants about a foot away form the window - any further is too far away.

I've seen people here make a similar point about larger distances from the window being worthless.

So here's my question. If the sun can travel 93 million miles and still be strong once it reaches my plants when they're on the deck, why does an extra foot kill the sunlight when the plants are in my house? AND, before anyone says "the window kills the light" - that doesn't quite make sense either: If the window kills the light, then the light should be bad at 1 foot inside my house from the window (because it's already gone through the window, which should kill it), but it's not, it's only bad at 2 or 3 or more feet beyond the window inside your house. Why wouldn't the sun be just as intense 3 feet inside my house as 1 foot? And again, yes, I get that light dissipates or whatever as it travels, but then why isn't sunlight "good", say, at the top of my balcony but "bad" if I put the plants on the floor of my balcony, since the floor is 6 feet lower than the top of my balcony?

Get my point? Why doesn't sunlight dissipate within a few feet outside but it does within a few feet inside?

Comments (23)